Purpose of this Article
This article provides rules and guidelines for authors in respect to copyright of images within the area of the NAWCC Message Board known as the "National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Encyclopedia".
The copyright of non-image content is covered separately in the article [main]Copyright of text in NAWCC Encyclopedia Articles[/main].
- Rules are mandatory requirements and must be followed by all authors.
- Guidelines provide further information and suggestions for creating and using images which satisfy the rules.
Copyright and licensing of images
- All images used in the Encyclopedia must be uploaded into the Encyclopedia Images namespace. Images which are not uploaded into the Wiki Images forum should not be used.
- Each image used in encyclopedia articles or uploaded to the Encyclopedia Images forum must be covered by one of the following license or copyright categories:
- Own work: The image was created by the person using or uploading it, the copyright is held by that person, and that person allows the image to be licensed to the public under the terms of the Creative Commons license will be found at Creative Commons
- Licensed: The copyright over the image is held by another person or entity, and that person or entity has licensed the image to the public under the terms of the
- Public domain: The image is in the public domain.
- Fair use:The copyright over the image is held by another person or entity, but its use satisfies the fair use provisions in copyright law. Before relying on fair use, the person creating the image in the Encyclopedia Images namespace should attempt to contact the holder of the copyright and seek permission to use the image as a licensed image. It is the responsibility of the person creating the image in the Encyclopedia Images namespace to be satisfied that the use of the image will fit the fair use provisions of copyright law.
- The person creating the image in the Encyclopedia Images namespace must state in the image article:
Standard templates for this purpose are available and are described in the article [main]Image copyright and license templates[/main].
- The type of copyright (own work, licensed, public domain or fair use);
- the name of the copyright holder (if known); and
- if from a book, journal or other document, the source of the image.
These rules are effective from 15-July-2009.
- Images are complete objects in themselves and usually a person or entity holds the copyright over an image.
- It is expected that images can be used by anyone in any article in the Encyclopedia. To avoid someone having to get explicit permission to use an image in an article, own work images should be freely available through a Creative Commons license.
- The NAWCC cannot prevent someone from downloading a copyright image, licensed or not, and using it outside the encyclopedia; it would be the copyright holders responsibility to discover such use and act on it. Licensing an image will have little or no impact in such cases.
- Only a court of law can decide if the use of an image satisfies the fair use provisions. Consequently, relying on fair use should be restricted as much as possible.
Existing imagesIn the case of images which have been used in articles or uploaded before the date of effect of this rule:
- The appropriate license or copyright notice as specified in rules 2 and 3 above should be added to the associated article in the Encyclopedia Images forum.
- If the creator of an own work image does not agree to license the image, then the creator should contact a moderator to arrange for the image to be deleted.
Guidelines: Replacing Images
An image in an Encyclopedia Images forum article can - and should - be replaced by another (better or less copyright restricted) image when a suitable image becomes available.
When an image is replaced, the article text must be changed to the copyright catagory, name and source for the new image.
Guidelines: Fair Use Images
Fair use images should only be used when the image is essential and no alternative image exists.
Wherever possible advice should be obtained before using such an image.
Guidelines: External Images
If for any reason it is not possible to upload an image to the Encyclopedia Image forum, a reference to the image should be used instead of the image itself.
The reference can be a citation or a link to an external web site.
Categories: Category Tutorials