Changing the name of an image in the Encyclopedia Image namespace is not difficult but it involves three separate steps:
Create a new image article
- Download the image and change its name:
- Go to the image article, right click on the image and choose Save Image ... to copy it onto your computer. (Obviously, if you created the original image and still have it on you computer you can skip this step.)
- On your own computer, change the file name of the image to the new name, choosing a name that is explanatory. Do not delete the file type extension!
- Create a new image article:
- Select the image on your computer and copy the file name including the file type extension. (How you do this depends on the operating system, Windows, Mac or other.)
- Navigate to the Encyclopedia image namespace and create a new image article using the New Thread button.
- Paste the images file name into the Title box and click Start Editing
- Attach the image, provide the necessary text as described in the article [main]Creating images for the Encyclopedia[/main], and Post New Article.
Change links in articles
- Navigate to the original image article in the Encyclopedia Image namespace and see if there are any Links. Usually there will be just one, perhaps none at all, and very few images have more than one link.
If there are any links, then for each link:
- Click on the link to go to the article that uses the image.
- Search through the article and find where the image is used. This is probably easiest to do from the Article tab rather than the Edit tab.
- [image] codes: Using the edit tab, replace the article name of the original image with the article name of the new image. See [main]Writing and Editing Encyclopedia Articles[/main].
- [img] or [alt] codes: Using the edit tab, replace the image address of the original image with the image address of the new image. See [main]Writing and Editing Encyclopedia Articles[/main].
- When you have finished, open the original image article, making sure you refresh it. Now there should be no links. If there are any links, you have missed one or more of the places where the image was used, and you need to find and fix them.
- Open the new image article and check that all the links are there.
Delete the original image articleNow the original article needs to be deleted. Contact a moderator and ask him or her to delete it.
Too hard?If you have problems or think the process it too hard, contact a moderator get some help. Categories: Category Tutorials
This page has been seen 1,470 times.
- Created byonEncyclopedia managerLast updated byonencyclopedia manager