Zurich - Schipfe und St. Peterskirche

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by kirxklox, Jun 29, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Zurich - Schipfe und St. Peterskirche

117.jpg

2. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sam,

Want a coincidence? I took this picture about a week ago, on July 1. I think I was one bridge further back.

http://www.members.aol.com/churt44966/zurich.jpg

No idea what happened to the tower on the far left, looks like it lost it's top (although it's clock is still there) at some point in the last few decades.

I do hope you'll keep submitting your postcards. I'm sure others enjoy them as much as I have, and I'm not even a clock guy.

Regards,

Cary

3. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like they've got the time under control... with 3 towers...in such a short distance. Looks like "mine is bigger so it must be better! "

4. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, and it seems they are all three working and I doubt if they have been MODERNIZED.

The most intriguing to me is how few of the Buildings have changed in 100+ years!

5. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is really neat, and amazing! I think a bridge or two have been added over the years between the position of the photographer and the bridge shown in the postcard. But it is really amazing.

I have plans to sort through my photos of public clocks in France (I have several hundred) and see if I have any that match postcards that have been posted here. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

I have considered posting some of those pictures from France, but I am not sure there is enough interest. Most will not have names; they are just on unknown churches and towers.

How about it? Should I post a few?

RobertG

6. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have always found it intriguing that someone has always been able to identify an image or item posted on this Message Board.

I recommend One monument/building per thread. Easier to view and easier to identify later.

The Moderator or Admin can always update the Thread Titles later!

7. Tony Ambruso

Tony Ambruso Registered User

Dec 2, 2005
    Sam, have you visited all these places, or have you otherwise accumulated these post cards?

8. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These Post Cards are 30 to 50 years older than I am. Many of the Post Cards are 100+ years old.

I collect OLD Post Cards and Ephemera about HOROLOGY. I will be PUBLISHING much of this material on www.kirxklox.com as time permits.

Plus, every chance I get I try to receive permission to Photograph Collections of Clocks and Watches. These collections are placed on Virtual Picture Galleries that I have developed.

Ever since I broke my BACK, I have been unable to travel by Air or Sea.

9. SrWilson

SrWilson Registered User

You do know The clock dials on st peters on far right are the largest In europe right? the diameter is around 8.7 meters.
    Tower has a set of 5 bells too.

10. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't before, but I do now!

11. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I am reading them correctly (the postcard is hard to read the detail), the clocks on the postcard say it is approximately 2:47, and on the modern photo they say it is approximately 3:47!

RobertG

12. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe it is more of a coincidence than that. I blew up the Post Card and I swear they are within minutes of each other.

13. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Blown UP Tower:

14. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BLOWN UP Tower Image!

Attached Files:

15. SrWilson

SrWilson Registered User

Heres some more photos of the clock of st peters closer and a pic of the mechanism......

http://wilsonsclockmuseum.net/myPictures/zurich1peter.jpg

http://wilsonsclockmuseum.net/myPictures/013_kirchturm2.JPG

http://wilsonsclockmuseum.net/myPictures/stpeterclocknear.jpg

Incase anyone wondered or cared the clock strikes the quarters and the hours.

16. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    SrWilson: I care and care a LOT.

After looking at your pictures, it made me realize I still do not really know what time the Post Card Image was taken. I am begining to believe it was Mid Morning where the Hour and Minute hands are over lapping.

Do you have any information on the Other Two Tower Clocks?

17. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sam,

It was late afternoon when I took my picture, and my first thought when I looked at the postcard was that it was coincidentally the same time. I even thought the clouds looked similar.

The tall spire in the middle is called the FrauMunster, (ladies cathedral, more or less) and I think the other (far left) is a Post Office. Could be wrong though. It started raining shortly after, and I wasn't paying too much attention.

Schipfe in the postcard title refers to this waterfront district. It's sort of an artist's colony, currently very trendy and pricey too. And I agree with you that it's amazing how little change there has been between the two images.

Regards,

Cary

18. Tony Ambruso

Tony Ambruso Registered User

Dec 2, 2005
    Notice I didn't ask if you took the pictures in real time.

Sorry to hear that your medical condition has curtailed your ability to visit in real time, but you do have some beautiful representations of some pretty interesting places.

19. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only Countries of Europe I have been in was Italy and Greece.