Zurich ? clock with SSS in an oval as the trademark - need hand nut ideas

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by THTanner, Sep 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock was given to the current owner when she was 15 (about 50 years ago). He grandmother bought it for in Zurich.
    I repaired the clock two years ago and it has been running fine since then and still runs great, but about two weeks ago, while cleaning and setting the clock, the owner lost the little nut that holds the minute hand on.
    The hand shaft and threads are really tiny. The best I can figure is about 0.5mm diameter and 10?? threads in 4mm.
    Does anyone know of a source of hex nuts for 0.5mm diameter hand shafts? Or a source for a good tap that would allow me to make a replacement from brass stock with those tiny threads?
    An alternative I have read about is to take a nut with a larger thread size and fill it with solder, drill a small hole in the solder and gently screw it onto the threads on the shaft. I would prefer not to do that, but so far I have not been able to find a proper nut.
    Also, if anyone knows the maker and approximate age of this clock that would be great.
    thanks
    tom

IMG_4096.JPG IMG_4097.JPG IMG_4098.JPG IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4100.JPG IMG_4101.JPG

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    A bit of hard leather, pierced slightly with an ice pick, will work better than you may think.

A German hand nut assortment will probably have the part you seek. Most of the usual suppliers will have these.

Also, any clock repair person should have a sizable collection of hand nuts. It's usually easy to find one of an item. Alyhough, finding 2 or more of a kind (matching), that can be very difficult.

Willie X

4. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "SSS" trademark belongs to W. & A. Schmid-Schlenker .

The firm was established in 1935 in Schwennigen and moved to Bad Duerrheim in 1952, They went out of business in 1987 or so.

Information - Schmidt Schlenker Clock

Regards.

THTanner likes this.
  5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the assortments from both Timesavers and Blackforest and the smallest nut in both slips over the threads. I will check Merrits
    thanks

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If the threads are the same count you can close the hole by using a prick punch. A single punch from the front about 1.5 mm away from the hole will usually do it. Just one moderate hit for starters, add as necessary, being careful not to go to far. Willie X

THTanner likes this.
  7. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Tom
    Your biggest issue is coming up with the proper size designation.

Based on your last photo, .5mm seems really small for that size clock. What I can tell you is that a .4mm thread pitch as you mentioned is about .375 mm deep or close to the diameter of your thread.

However, .5mm x .125mm pitch is a standard thread.

I can machine any size or shape nut you wish in that thread in a minute or two and drop it in the mail in my travels.

Or of course, you can take the up coming NAWCC Lathe class WS-117 being held in California this year, and machine your own in class.

Jerry Kieffer

THTanner likes this.
  8. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is the plan if the M0.6 thread count is acceptable. With such a small length of exposed thread it is hard to get a precise count and I dont have a mic that can measure peak to peak for these threads, but I suspect the M0.6 can be made to work.

9. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ============
    Getting the exact size is a tough one for me on this. I have a digital mic that reads the diameter accurately but the thread count is tough. There is also an M0.55 x .125 but it is rather rare I guess. So I am assumming M0.5 x .125. To get another comparison of how small this is - take the smallest diameter sweep hand for a Quartz movement. That will "screw" onto this shaft just a bit too snug. I tried making a usuable nut from the sweep hand but it was not something I would want on the front and center of my clock so decided to find a proper nut.

When and where is the lathe class in Calif? Has it been scheduled yet?

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It's probably in your junk pile somewhere. It may be disguised as a travel alarm pillar post, pocket watch pillar post, or threaded plate or bridge.

I was working on a Perkins brailer last night and looked a long time to find a single odd metric nut. I finally cut it from an old clock plate where the suspension spring post screwed to the back plate.

Willie X

11. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ====================
    my junk pile is not very extensive but am still looking through it. The M0.6 nuts will be here Monday. A bit of work to adjust from .6 to .5 should work if the .6 is a bit too large.

But my initial question was does anyone have a source for these tiny bits other than the link I posted? Alibaba will make a minimum order of 5,000 for me, but that is way too expensive.

12. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:

Tom
    Sorry I am late on this.

It is November 16th and 17th in Vista California about 35 miles north of San Diego.

Details are on the NAWCC web site under education and then Work Shop class schedules.

Jerry Kieffer

THTanner likes this.
  13. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The M0.6 and M0.8 nuts came in yesterday. The M0.6 x .15 fit okay in terms of diameter but the threads did not mesh well. So I narrowed the M0.8 x .2 a bit and got it to fit okay.
    The OD across the nut was only 1.5mm which is almost too small to see and certainly too small to handle. So I opened a larger hand nut center a bit and peened and staked it into the center. At least now the owner (in her late 60s) can see the nut on the shaft. A drop of locktite on the tip of the threads that protuded should make it more difficult to be unscrewed. She promised not to take the hands off anymore to clean the porcelain dial - sigh. So it is all back together working fine and looks okay.

I suspect this may have been M1 x 0.25 threads initially and was rethreaded at some point a bit smaller to clean up some damage. The threads are still a bit rough but this combo nut should hold it in place quite well. In the photo the M0.8 nut can barely be seen in the center of the larger hand nut.

IMG_0002.JPG

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks fine, and a very innovative idea.

THTanner likes this.