Zonemaster Clock Serial # 1573

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by TxnTravlr, Oct 21, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TxnTravlr

TxnTravlr Guest

Is anyone familiar with this clock company? Their location was 15524 South Broadway Gardena, California. I will try to post a picture soon! Thanks!

2. Hi T T,
    I took the liberty of looking that clock up you purchased. WOW!! You got you a weird one there. I kinda like that clock. I have never seen one before. Does yours work and may I ask what kind of motor does it have, seems as though you have a sharp eye for the unusal.

3. TxnTravlr

TxnTravlr Guest

Thanks Charles, it works fine....and the Selector switch for the different time zones moves the outer set of hands while the center set of hands tells the current time. The only thing that doesn't work is the PM light to indicate day or night in the selected time zone. I'm trying to post some pictures here, but I'm having trouble. If you will send your email address to TxnTravlr@aol.com....I'll shoot you some pics right away! This is a bizzare animal and I can't find any information about the company at all. I haven't even THOUGHT about cracking it open to see what motor!

4. Randall

Randall New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know about the Zonemaster Clock. My grandfather , Fred G. Burg, was the inventoer & built the clocks. I worked summers with him assebling the clocks. Originally they were bult at the Burgmaster Corporation office in Gargenam, Ca but moved to their own ficility in the San Fernando Valley.

I still have the original stock certificates that Fred issues to my family along with two of the metal Zonemaster clocks and three plastic versions.

My grandfather was an invento with maybe 100 pattents under his original name Ginsburg. There are two exhibits at the Smithsonian , one is the Burg Turret Drilling machine , and another that he invenmted in his 90's of a unique 10' globe of the earth that shows the underwater ocean rifts!

Burgmaster Corp, gardena, Ca., was one of the early builders of NC (now CNC) automated machine tools, later acquired by Houdaille Industries & then acquired by KKR.

If you are interested in learning more about my grandfather & his inventions pick up a copy of "When The Machine Stops" by Harvard Business Press, avalable from Amazon.

As I sdaid, I was part of all this so let me know if you need any additioanl information about the clock - I built a lot of them and have repaided my clocks a few times.

Randall Burg

5. careful peach

careful peach New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Randall,
    Can you give me any information about repair of the Zonemaster? I have one, and I can't set the time, and the lights aren't working!
    Karen

6. krjones

krjones New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Dear Mr. Burg;
    I have one of your grandfather's Zone Master clock which I dearly love. In repairing the clock so as to make the am and pm lights work, I inadvertently lost a part. The part I lost was the little coat hanger shaped brass strip which serve as the lever off of a cam to switch the time zones. I need either to obtain the part, or at least a shale drawing of it so I can fabricate one. Can you offer any assistance on this? Thank you in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Keith Jones
    2900 Polk
    Amarillo, TX 79109

806 674 4738

7. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one of each of the metal and plastic clocks. Both work properly. The plastic one amazes me insofar as how much simpler it is – and how much lighter. The metal one had apparently sat stopped in the sun for many years, so the inner dial is faded except where the shadow of the outer hands fell.

Tim Orr
    Nashville

8. krjones

krjones New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Mr. Burg;
    Can you possibly provide me with the patent number for the Zone Master clock. Thank you so much!
    Keith Jones

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Randall hasn't been on the message board since his post, July 2008. I don't think he will see your post.