ZentRa Art Deco tall case clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by DR.K, Mar 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    An online acquisition that needed the chime chain hung and a little oil. Like many German clocks the case back has those small worn holes and the bottom has the tell-tale sign of why IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0781.jpg the chain was loose. I never really understand how weights in a clock fall when there is no indication of mechanism failure. Works marked #13886 115cm pendulum and Icon which to me looks like a padlock or purse with their name. This is the first chime mechanism I have that works the hammers front to back rather than side to side. The sound produced is two note deep and guttural.

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IIRC, Zentra was a retailer of clocks and watches that were made by other companies. Zentra imprinted their trademark on these movements. They started business in the late 1920s or early 1930s, I believe.

Perhaps someone can identify the maker of the movement.

Regards.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, that's basically right, but they were wholesalers selling to the trade, rather than retailers. They got their movements from many different companies.

I can't identify the movement shown, but I am sure someone else will be able to.

JTD

4. S_Owsley

S_Owsley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Male
    Construction Management
    San Francisco
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a Zentra wall clock that strikes a bim-bam. I selected it from a lot of clocks in a shop based on the beautiful sound when striking.

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kienzle movement circa 1930's with 'Maestro Gong', bim-bam strike on large swinging hammers. Swinging hammers were a thing among German clockies during the 1930's and this setup gave a more substantiated sound compared to everything else. The Maestro Gong's movement is shown in the 1939 Kienzle catalog:

Kienz81M1939.jpg

And a look at the monstrous gong block:

maestro9.jpg

S_Owsley likes this.
  6. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Nice clock! It looks a lot like the Gustav Becker model I have. Similar case design and the dial looks the same as well. Mine has a bim bam strike and has been a really good clock. An artist friend refers to it as a Bauhaus influence design. Enjoy it.

IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2890.JPG

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That would wake you up in the morning no problem.

8. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks chimeclockfan for the detailed info. It has been running for a couple of days now in my workshop with other GF's. It is readily apparent when it strikes as much louder than the others. A peculiar function on the half-hour strike as both sets of gong rods are struck which is different than other bim-bams I have. Guess there are only two times a day it is problematic.