Zenith ship chronomerter

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by John Moane, Jun 25, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. John Moane

John Moane Registered User

Jan 3, 2005
    Teacher
    Kumamoto Japan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can anyone tell me the date and what is missing at the base of this Zenith chronometer? It has a hacking device at the base which is a very small screw that I have taken photos of and there is some kind of spring also at the base. The clock is top heavy, so the dial turns downwards when it is in it`s gimbel, Should there be a weight at the base to stop this? Many thanks, John

Attached Files:

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of these deck watches were put in similar cases with a weighted bottom section if mounted in gimbals. The American examples from Elgin, Waltham and Hamilton all have essentially the same form.

Attached is a picture of the outside of a tub containing a Jurgensen pocket chronometer that was converted for military service at the beginning of WWII by the Roth Brothers.

Attached Files:

3. John Moane

John Moane Registered User

Jan 3, 2005
    Teacher
    Kumamoto Japan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Mr. McIntyre for the information on the weight for Chronrmeters. Would you know where I may find information on the hacking device that would have been at the base of this Zenith. John