Zenith: is it 1925? and what model?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Draken, Jun 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Draken

Draken New Member

May 19, 2020
    Male
    Tartu, Estonia
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I have this old zenith. Could this be a small pocket watch convered to a wristwatch or what do I have here. This dial is something that I have never seen on a Zenith.
    Engraved inside is MX 1925

Dropbox - Zenith - Simplify your life

Thanks in advance,
    Karl

2. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I don’t know but I can offer observations. The dial would indicate to me 1920s or slightly earlier. I think this was always a wristwatch because I don’t recall seeing that red 12 used on a lady’s size pocket watch. The case is the conundrum. This is picky but it seems like a bit too much space between the minutes track and the bezel. The movement is a good fit to the case but I would hope for company i.d. inside the case back. Perhaps it originally was a wire lugged trench watch that was moved to this case? If the MX1925 is scratched in it may indicate a repair date?Again, just my gut talking. The hands and the crystal need attention. Zeniths are great and those red 12 dials are desirable. -Cort

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Draken

Draken New Member

May 19, 2020
    Male
    Tartu, Estonia
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for thinking along. As the pictures were taken it has been totally untouched for the last 50 years.
    Here are my own latest observations:
    The movement might as well be 1916. The case seem a bit later adding. One of the hands could be a replacement.

The attatchment for the straps seems odd. They are simply brass rods that are fixed in the mounts.
    Yes It does needs work! tho gladly the springs are ok.

It measures 32 mm (no crown).

102650726_1043780389350800_3738008809071706112_n.jpg 102650726_1043780389350800_3738008809071706112_n.jpg

5. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Karl,

I have a very similar watch, in an original Swiss silver case, with a serial number later than yours, indicating around 1924/5. The dial is signed for Favre-Leuba Zenith, with Roman numerals but still the red XII. One difference is that yours has the jewels fitted in what appear to be chatons, and also seems to be jewelled to the centre. I believe it was made as a wrist watch and not converted.

DSCF8636.JPG DSCF8633.JPG

Fixed lugs like this, or as in your case, (probably slightly later in date), were the usual way of attaching straps before spring bars became widely available. They were also specified on many later military-issue wrist watches for security.

Regards,

Graham

7. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the big difference between Graham's and yours is the case.
    The condition largely relates to the case.
    A watch is cased for the genteelman or the worker. The weather girl or whatever.
    I mean you are looking at quite a high quality movement for the case it is in.

8. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Now that the crystal has been removed the dial looks looks like a good fit for the case.-Cort

9. Draken

Draken New Member

May 19, 2020
    Male
    Tartu, Estonia
    Country Flag:
    It is a good fit, Tho I would still go with the idea that this is a newer case and the original was silver with wire lugs?
    The christal is still there I simply gave it a light buff. It needs a new one in the future due to the small crack.