Zenith cleaning solutions???

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bogey, Mar 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has anyone had any experience with Zenith clock cleaning solutions? I've been using the product from TimeSavers, but Zenith appears to be lower priced.

Good, Bad or otherwise?

2. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never heard of them.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use Zenith 251NA. It is a concentrate and is mixed with water and easy to dispose of. I also wanted non-ammoniated. It seems to work fine, although I have nothing to compare it to since this is all I have ever used.

I did find that if left in the US for a period of time it went thick and gelatinous. I contacted the supplier and they said that bacteria was causing it. Since I only do a couple of clocks a month, I decided to store it in an air tight glass container. When time to use it, I put hot water in the US and pour the Zenith into a zip loc bag along with the clock parts and put the bag in the water in the US. When I am done I pour the cleaner back into the sealed container.

David

4. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, David. I've never had a problem with the Time Savers brand, but it is costly. I do a lot of clocks, so there shouldn't be a problem with gel.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I like the Timesavers historic better than the Zenith but I would recommend that you order up a gallon of the Zenith and see how you like it.

Also, clock movements will poke holes in a plastic bag ...

Willie X

6. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS. Likes Clock Teeth.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Time After Time, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    I've been using the "Historic" brand lately too. I use it at the higher concentration of 7 parts water to 1 part concentrate and it does a pretty nice job when it's fresh. I kept it sealed in my Ultrasonic with a gasket around the lid. It will do a fair job for quite a while but like any cleaner, you have to keep an eye on its effectiveness. Either that or change it out on a schedule. Before Historic I used L & R Clock Cleaner. That's very effective but I had to mix it under a stove top exhaust fan because the concentrated Ammonia was so strong. Don't know about Zenith. If you're looking to save some money there are several recipes on the board for home-made solutions.

Edit:
    Here are a few thread links on the topic. No doubt there are more.
    Home Brew Cleaning Solutions
    Clock cleaning solution
    Cleaner solution???

7. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS. Likes Clock Teeth.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just remembered that some members here report good results using Zep Fast 505 or Purple Power in their Ultrasonic Cleaners. I don't know how effective they would be in a cold soak/bath approach. I do use Zep Fast 505 as a pre-soak and for the relatively short time my clock parts are in there (room temp for about 20 minutes) it does have an effect. Even if you do get a commercial clock cleaner, you may want to use one of these products as a pre-soak to extend the life of the more expensive cleaner.

8. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member Donor

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have been using the Zenith waterless for several years both for cleaning and rinsing. #1000 for cleaning and #1001 for rinse. We believe it to be the best on the market and does not have the strong odor of the others. They do make a water based concentrate as well. The #251 is ammoniated and the #251NA non ammoniated. All are sold by the gallon. We carry it as well as do most suppliers.

9. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What are safe disposal methods recommended for Zenith waterless #1000 & #1001?

RC

10. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member Donor

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many localities have a waste disposal system where they take paint, etc. Of course in the old days my father used to pour it around the garage, etc. to kill the grass and spiders, etc. Not that I am recommending it.