Zenith Chronometers

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by testguy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I posted this in the forum "my newest clock acquisition." I am re-posting here in the hope I'll get more responses. These clocks were purchased and used by the Canadian Pacific Railway as Dispatcher Clocks. I am most interested in learning about the movements.
    Thanks
    Brian
    IMG_8363.JPG IMG_8362.JPG IMG_8361.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8358.JPG IMG_8359.JPG

John Cote and tick talk like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice Brian, i really like all railway clocks. I have a ships clock, Zenith chronometer, i posted in the past.I will keep my eyes open though for more Swiss made railway clocks.

3. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Looking forward to seeing a photo of the movement in that Zenith Chronometer.

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    You can get in contact with Zenith archive department and get a archive letter and get info on movement. You need photo's of movement and the clock or watch movement serial number link below.
    Extract from the Registers
    Below info I got from Zenith I had another Zenith I got less on all depends on the info they kept over the years. Was well worth the price on the info below I got.

DSC_0275.JPG scan 2.jpg scan 3.jpg

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a couple of partial Zenith Chronometers that are very similar to the Waltham 8 day pieces. They were upgraded from Zenith travel clocks just like many of the Waltham Travel clocks were at the start of WWII. They both are signed for Vail Clock Co. of Chicago.

6. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMG_9321.JPG IMG_9322.JPG
    Here are pictures of the Zenith Chronometer movement. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

IMG_9321.JPG IMG_9322.JPG

7. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found one on line described as a cal.262. It had the same features including a hack feature, and a similar but different case.
    The bezel set and wind clock may be a cal.260. I tried to open this clock but could not figure it out.

8. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are pictures of the back of the clock. We are at a loss to see how to open it. Thanks, Brian
    IMG_2045[1].JPG IMG_2044[1].JPG IMG_2043[1].JPG IMG_2042[1].JPG

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In picture no 3. Around the inner brass piece, there is another nut with a slot cut on the top edge. I would think you turn that slotted brass outer part counter clock wise and open it this way.

10. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kevin, that's what we thought. We're going to try and make a tool to get it.

Kevin W. likes this.
  11. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let us know how it turns out Brian, interested.

12. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The ring did not do the trick. We now think the movement could come out from the front but we could not remove the hands.(they are on tight).

13. testguy

testguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 testguy, Mar 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0155.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0157.JPG IMG_0158.JPG IMG_0159.JPG Got it opened. It was so easy. You basically remove the bottom cover, and the bezel and then push on the bottom arbor and the movement comes out. I have today ordered an abstract for the 11 jewel movement.
    Some time ago, I purchased the abstract for the Zenith Chronometer (Correct Time) but Zenith weren't able to supply a complete abstract. Zenith confirmed that it's a caliber 261 which they state is a chronometer caliber which regularily competed at Intl chronometry competitions and was well known for its precision. Based on the style of the case, they believe the clock was made in the 1940's.

tick talk likes this.