Zenith Chronometer (Deck Watch)

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Conrad, Jul 21, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Conrad

Conrad Registered User

Sep 10, 2004
    Stroudsburg Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    I bought this Zenith Chronometer about a month ago at a flea market and have been trying to get some info on it to no avail. The movement is stamped Zenith, 15 jewels, 3 adj. and it is also stamped Vail Watch Co. I could not find any info at all on this company. Clocks are my hobby, this is the first watch I have bought, only because I thought is was pretty neat.
    They are not a common watch (or clock) I believe, I found out that much.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vail was a company in Chicago that upgraded Zenith movements for use as torpedo boat or deck watches. The result is nearly identical to the similar items from Waltham that were upgraded by the Roth Brothers and some others.

The Zenith/Vail pieces are less common than the Waltham/Roth ones.

These conversions occurred at the start of WWII.

3. Conrad

Conrad Registered User

Sep 10, 2004
    Stroudsburg Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanx Tom for the information,That is more info than I was able to find in a couple of weeks. Do you know of any web sites or books that can tell me more about the Vail Watch Co. ?

4. terofpa

terofpa Registered User

Dec 20, 2006
    Lavelle, Pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please, I need to know more about this story and about buying this chronometer at a flea market. What flea market did you buy this from? Would I be out of line if I asked about how much? Please, please, please don't tell me $10 or something like that.

Why is it when I go to flea markets all i see are clothes and old baby toys? Oh yeah, and Avon bottles.

Ter

5. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your watch is pictured on page 393 of Military Timepieces by Marvin E. Whitney published by the AWI Press (1992). It is an 8 day, 15 jeweled watch made from an upjeweled 6 jewel automobile watch brought up to US Navy specifications. The watch was probably made sometime late in WW1 or as late as the early 1920s.

Vail Watch was set up by Zenith in the late 1890s to manufacture watches in the USA.

Whitney's book is available from AWI and is also available from the NAWCC Library.

6. Conrad

Conrad Registered User

Sep 10, 2004
    Stroudsburg Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Saylorsburg Flea Market and not alot of $$$. Good flea market but you must get there early-early-early, Sunday is best. Are you a collector or Chronometers??

7. Conrad

Conrad Registered User

Sep 10, 2004
    Stroudsburg Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanx Ron for the info. Do you know if these were made for the military or just made up to specs for the general public??

8. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The watches were made for the US Navy.