Zenith C472W clock radio

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by 70chevelless, Oct 25, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 70chevelless

70chevelless Registered User

May 24, 2007
    Hi,
    I have a Zenith clock radio C472W the radio works fine but the clock does not. I took her apart & found no broken gears I checked the motor & it does not run but is getting voltage.
    The motor is General Time Corporation the gear turns fine when I turn it buy hand.
    So I guess it's the motor my Question is does anyone know where I can get one?. Or is there any other Manufactures that use this motor?. I have tried ebay but there is nothing on there as far as the Zenith C472W. I was just wondering if another Manufacture used this motor.
    Also the light does not work that lights up the numbers the wires come off the motor. I can put pictures up if that will help Thank you for your help. Will,

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Does the clock motor become warm? If not, then the clock motor field coil is open.

These usually consume about two watts of electrical power and most of the power just generates heat.

Another simple test is to place a steel or iron screwdriver or nail close to or touching the field of the motor field coil. You should detect some magnetic attraction if the field coil is generating magnetic flux.

It would help if you'd post a photo of the motor in question. Clock people generally don't have much to do with radios or clock radios.

3. 70chevelless

70chevelless Registered User

May 24, 2007
    Yes the motor get very hot that I did notice. I will try the other test latter & will also post pictures of the motor.
    I collect roll or flip type clocks from the 70's this is my first one with a radio in her. Thank you for your help & will get the pictures up ASAP. Will,

4. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Silly question, but did you test the blub? I believe it is a common, 125V bulb in parallel with the motor.
    Now, as to the motor and it getting warm. That does indicate it's field is good. If the field is good, the motor should run if there is no binding, etc. Did you try powering the motor separated from the movement?
    "The gear" Which gear? That teeny little one? That teeny little one you should not be able to turn as it is fixed to the shaft and is driven by a reduction train. What gear is it you can turn? That may not be good.

5. clockdude

clockdude Registered User

Nov 28, 2007
    What brand & model number is the motor? I could probably help you. My boss is in the middle of fixing a clock (and I for one didn't think he cared about clocks like we do) and he's replacing a motor for the clock. It's a clock that has an advertisement for Budweiser beer, and it has horses & a carriage. He's ordering the motor for American Time & Signal corporation!