zaanse zaandam

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
i have a zaanse zaandam i have correct weights for it now but it doesn't keep time at all! i moved the pendulum bob and everything, its in beat it just wont keep time any thoughts?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I think your question might do better in the clock repair forum. With no other information, perhaps it is skipping teeth on the escapewheel. Or you haven't moved the pendulum bob far enough. If we knew if it is gaining or losing, and how much, might be of more help. I'm going to move your thread to clock repair.

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
ok and if i knew if it is gaining or losing i would have an idea but its so off i never have found if its gaining or losing! i will check the escape wheel, and ok how do i post to clock repair, that's what i meant to do

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It is there now, in clock repair. Your description makes me think it must be stopped, as it should be obvious with watching it if it gains or loses, if you start with the right time.

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
it rang the hour then 15 min later it rang the half hour! so i guess its 15 min fast! but then it rang the hour a few hours later and didn't ring the half hour 15 min later! i lost track and never heard it ring the half hour!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You need to put the hands on it so you can see how much it gains or loses in 24 hours.

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region
I think we need to start at the beginning.

We need a picture of the movement. Without that we're guessing in the dark about something that may not even be there.

We also need a better description of what is the problem. Because what you are describing could be erratic running OR some sort of strike/chime train fault. So, the question is: Is it running erratically? Or is it not striking the hours correctly/on time?

For a decent attempt at diagnosis you must have the hands on the clock so you can see if it's keeping time. If it's keeping time but not striking correctly, then that's where we can focus our attention & ideas. If it's running erratically, then that's a different area of the movement that we need to be looking at.

So, lets start there. OK?

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
i dont have hands for it! but i move the minute arbor and it strikes properly every time! i will put some pictures up in just a second.

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
zaandam leader 002.jpg I have the leader and pendulum there just not on in this picture

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Do you also have a suspension spring for it? Lacking hands, keeping time is somewhat of a moot point.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Some clocks are intended to strike on the 1/4 hours.
As Harold says, without some type of hand, we still don't
know if it is a problem with the strike or time keeping.
Tinker Dwight

Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
This looks totally stupid - but it worked for testing my 1st tear-down guinea pig movement. It's a piece of scrap 1/16" plywood I had in the workshop. The pendulum and suspension spring worked, too.
Minute Hand.jpg Pendulum.jpg

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Yes Bill, that is hokey.
I've found that a piece of tape, cut in a triangle
makes a fine hand. I'm not to sure it works for
long as a suspension spring though.
Tinker Dwight

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
Yes a have the suspension spring, and i will try to see if i have a hand or something that will fit to try to see the time it says. i will keep trying with it and will be back if i find no solution!

Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
NOT MY solder job! that's the BEFORE picture. Here's AFTER: After.jpg After-front.jpg That thing was a mess.
And it was my first tear-down, bushings, reassemble, etc. There's a thread somewhere here about it with more photos.

Last edited:

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
oh i will be back with answers and i think its running fast but i will do some tests and such see if i cant figure it out!

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
hello im back sorry it took so long i had some other clock to come first, i took my zaandam apart but it cant find any thing!
it runs fine but doesn't keep time at all i think its the minute arbor nit moving the minute hand enough?

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
The exit pallet looks to be bent way out too much.
I can't see what the entrance pallet looks like.
With it bent like that so much, it will restrict
the over swing, causing the clock to run faster.
If it was bent out to increase inside drop, the
entrance pallet may also need work.
Do remember to anneal the pallets before bending.
Tinker Dwight

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
its gaining, by i think about 15 min per 15 min if you know what i mean, its not a quarter chime but it rang the half an hour only 15 min after the hour!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think nc means that the 1/2 hour strike occurred 15 minutes after the hour strike. So the clock is gaining 30 minutes every hour. I suspect it's skipping teeth badly due to that verge being bent so obtusely. I would expect some escape teeth issues as a result.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It is still confusing:???: 15 minutes in 15 minutes doesn't
sound right either.
Tinker Dwight
15 minutes actual time, but the hands advanced an additional 15 minutes, so they showed half past the hour.

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
sorry again for taking so long my internet ran out! it has a pendulum and is not skipping teeth! the reason i think it is the minute arbor is cause i don't have hands still! so i cant see whats really is going on but that's my best guess?

ncooke530

Nov 16, 2014
Country
the only numbers i found were 516. i got my pendulum from a parts company and a leader from a clock smith, he sid they didnt make the same one so he gave me one to make work i just had to cut a hole for the crutch. maybe that is the problem?

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ltrrtl53
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions