Zaandam Clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Viv Rose, May 4, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. Viv Rose

Viv Rose Registered User

Apr 19, 2005
    Retired
    Cape Town
    Country Flag:
    I was given this clock today. I have never seen anything like it before. Zaandam Clock

On the front decoration are the words "NU ELCK SYN SIN". What language and what could it mean?
    On the movement - "Hubert Herr Triberg Germany".

Can anybody shed some light on this one. I'm not sure I even like it but maybe after a clean up it could grow on me.

2. Viv Rose

Viv Rose Registered User

Apr 19, 2005
    Retired
    Cape Town
    Country Flag:
    I was given this clock today. I have never seen anything like it before. Zaandam Clock

On the front decoration are the words "NU ELCK SYN SIN". What language and what could it mean?
    On the movement - "Hubert Herr Triberg Germany".

Can anybody shed some light on this one. I'm not sure I even like it but maybe after a clean up it could grow on me.

3. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your Zaadam appears to be a reproduction.

I have seen these clocks signed Howard Miller made in Holland on the dial. I believe the movement was made by Hermle.

4. Doug

Doug Guest

You have a German replica of a Dutch Zaandam clock.

nu elck syn sin translated into English is "Every Man to his taste"

5. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Viv,
    Zaandam type clocks actually can grow on you.
    Cleaned up-they are quite attractive and the chime stike (hammer against bell on top) has a pleasant tone to it.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Viv. The movements in these clocks always made me think of cuckoo movements, so I am not surprised that Herbert Herr would make them (although I have never seen one with a Herr movement). I probably repair about 5-6 a year. Harold

7. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Viv
    Seen lots of these - they are indeed German, vaguely supposed to look like a Zaanse clock. They were supplied generally in mail order catalogues in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Quite a decent clock, but the clickwork sometimes falls to bits.
    Now a real Dutch stoelklok - that would be something - double strike on quarter hours, fancy crossings, verge escapement and instant strike release. Drool.........might make one one day.

8. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Here is a nice Dutch clock I own. Unfortunately it is a copy.

Dutch Clock

9. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A copy of WHAT!?

10. Viv Rose

Viv Rose Registered User

Apr 19, 2005
    Retired
    Cape Town
    Country Flag:
    Love that clock Harold!

Many thanks to all who responded to this topic. Yes - the clock is growing in me. but I have put it away after letting it run overnight. The movement is far too dirty and needs a good clean before being put into long term service.
    Since this is a modern replica I plan to do a complete restoration and make it better than new. The castings were not properly dressed and have grinding marks and rough edges on them. The woodwork is still in good condition but badly assembled.

Right now there are two movements on test and another in pieces, so this one will have to wait a bit.

Once again thanks.......

11. Terry James

Terry James Guest

Viv,

I have your clock's twin hanging in my breakfast room. It is indeed a german movement and not original Dutch, but I love mine. I'd clean it up and run it and if its a pleasent sounding as mine it will grow on you. The brass castings clean up very nicely in an ultrasonic cleaner. ;)

12. Viv Rose

Viv Rose Registered User

Apr 19, 2005
    Retired
    Cape Town
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Terry,

Problem I have is not so much the cleaning of the brass but the finish - especially the figurine on top. The casting feathers were ground down and left in a rough state. It just spoils the whole look of the clock. Once finished I will post a photo or two of the renewed clock.
    I agree that the quiet "ting" of the bell is a refreshing sound early in the morning and I have also found a perfect place to hang it after you mentioned where yours was situated.
    It's now officially named "de Ontbijtklok" or in english "The Breakfast Clock".