• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Zaandam Clock

tinkersdamn

Jan 9, 2006
Hastings, MN
Country
Region
I have a Zaandam wall clock in my shop for repair. I have never worked on this style of clock before. Question is, I have removed the minute hand, removed the wire wrap on the center arbor, but can not get the hour hand off. It spins and is loose, but will not move forward and off of the arbor. I'm missing something for sure, but can't figure out what!!

Help!!

tinkersdamn

Jan 9, 2006
Hastings, MN
Country
Region
I have a Zaandam wall clock in my shop for repair. I have never worked on this style of clock before. Question is, I have removed the minute hand, removed the wire wrap on the center arbor, but can not get the hour hand off. It spins and is loose, but will not move forward and off of the arbor. I'm missing something for sure, but can't figure out what!!

Help!!

tymfxr

NAWCC Member
May 13, 2005
Country
Region
All of the Zaandams I've worked on the hour hand is a friction fit. Try holding the shaft and turning the hand while pulling it off.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
A lot of the "newer" Zaandam's are just a modified Cuckoo movement. Almost always, the hour hand is friction fit and you should be able to get it off with an inexpensive hand puller if Mike's suggestion doesn't work for you.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I often put a "block" between hour cannon and front plate to arrest the wheel but you must still be careful not to damage teeth on the motion train from being too aggressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Joyce
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent