Your opinion this clock

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Hello all;

Although I did not win this clock. I really wanted it and bid on it.

Infact I had made pre-arrangement/agreement that I could pay by layaway, expecting bid to go higher than I am use to. Was going to bid double what I normally do.

But I copped out a bit. It's a triple decker Jerome ogee.

A few things about it made me hesitant. It has no veneer. Would that be normal? It also has brass movement instead of wood. Shouldn't it be wood movement? The lower tablet although described as original looks as replacement. The center window where pendulum shows has no pattern. Seems wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280018636031

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Hello all;

Although I did not win this clock. I really wanted it and bid on it.

Infact I had made pre-arrangement/agreement that I could pay by layaway, expecting bid to go higher than I am use to. Was going to bid double what I normally do.

But I copped out a bit. It's a triple decker Jerome ogee.

A few things about it made me hesitant. It has no veneer. Would that be normal? It also has brass movement instead of wood. Shouldn't it be wood movement? The lower tablet although described as original looks as replacement. The center window where pendulum shows has no pattern. Seems wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280018636031

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
RJ

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice clock Rj.I never saw one like this before.Looks like a decent price for the rarity of a clock like this.
I like Ogee clocks and i guess if i had the money would have gone for it as not many probaly come along.
Looks to be in decent shape also.

ClockJim

Nov 16, 2004
North Central Ohio
pages.google.com
Country
I'm assuming this is for the column and cornice clock (not Ogee).

To start off, I am by no means an expert on Jerome clocks.

But you asked for comments. Based on the photos it is a good-looking clock and could be original and a real keeper. I assume you spoke with the seller (discussing layaway) and perhaps got some additional information?

From what I could see, the case has what looks like some (if not most) of the original finish. Not all triple-deckers were veneered. And I believe some had both solid and veneered cases. There are a few nicks here and there, but it still looks good.

I think most of these style cases have feet (round or tapered) on the base. The one photo shows the based just sitting on the floor.

The seller states the mirror and glass are original to the case. That is possible and verifiable.

A brass movement? Sure, Jerome clocks had brass 30-hour and 8-day movements.

The partial label appears to state eig”ht day” that plus the weights are large and rectangular means 8-day to me. Is there more of a label then what is shown in the ad? Is the manufacturer, etc… on the label?

This dial appears appropriate to me.

Is it worth the money paid (plus shipping)? If I really knew more about the originally of the case, etc…
It would be a tempting purchase. But I’d really have to talk with the seller before bidding or buying.

If it is original and has a nearly complete label… I’d vote yes. But it’s a gutsy bid without seeing it in person.

PS: I have made it a habit never to look back on what could have been. No sense torturing ourself for copping out.

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
The dial is identical to my original dial on a Birge Mallory. I have seen a number of other Birge 8 day clocks with this dial.

I could be wrong, but I bet the dial is not correct for a Jerome. It is a rare dial, and it would not surprise me to see a lot of interest in just the dial alone. The upside down moon shape dial opening reveals the escapment on my strap brass 8 day marked Birge Mallory movement.

I am not sure where Jerome came from in the identification, but I suspect it is a Brige. I also agree with ClockJim on the feet and the case style.

A center mirror door panel or possibly reverse painting would be correct for a Birge along with the styling of the case. I imagine the clear glass is a replacement. Not sure about bottom reverse painting. (?) I can not read the label, but it looks like the label in my Birge Mallory. The brass strap movement looks identical to my Birge Mallory 8 day.

A Birge or Birge Mallory in particular would normally be worth significanly more than this auction sale price.

Someone recenly posted a picture of their Birge that looked very much like this clock on the Forum. You may want to do a search.

I think you missed out. Wish I had seen it since I may of bid at least double the auction sale amount. This weight on the strike side looks corrct, but it appears the time side is circular (?) and is not correct since it would also be rectanglar/square shaped. Even in the condition, this is a clock that is worth probably three times the auction close price.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Thanks all;

I am not really torturing myself over the loss.

I have been considering this type of clock purchase for a while now. Was going to be one of my more significant clocks.

I did correspond with seller some.

But, I have some reservation on doing that as well, because soon as you post questions that show interest, it seems others take interest as well. Especially if you point out assets of the clock. It like signaling with a flag to other buyers to bid higher.

Thanks for this information!! I now have another target and correct names of clock type allong with a generalized price range.

RJ

ClockJim

Nov 16, 2004
North Central Ohio
pages.google.com
Country
larmar,

You are correct... Birge and Mallory.

I missed the obvious. Especially since I recently purchased a Birge and Peck with an 8-day strap brass movement.

I was too hung up on the idea it was a Jerome.

Here is an almost twin sister. Even to the label.

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/clockdetail.php?id=15817

Though much over the final bid price would have been too much for me. But then I'm a cheap-skate.

DBPhelps

Nov 26, 2002
Country
Region
Here is a similar clock but with a carved splat. It is a Birge, Mallory & Co. The one sold on eBay has a replaced center tablet, not normally a mirror. The lower tablet also looks like a replacement and the clock is missing its feet. Decent example but there are better ones to be found.

287.jpg

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
The case also reminds me of my E.C. Brewster from ca. 1839 I posted pics of it earlier this year. It has egg-like feet as well and was veneered. It contains a brass repeater movement. Very nice clocks to look at!

Paul H

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2005
Country
RJ;

The clock in question is almost certainly a Birge and Mallory based on the dial. This clock would be considered a double decker or empire case. (in order for it to be a triple decker, there needs to be three individual sets of cloumns on the sides, not just three glasses) Jerome never made double deckers like this as far as I know. C+N Jerome did make some fabulous empire cases, but not exactly like this one. Only a few makers used the mirror opening in the dial (C+LC Ives; Birge + Mallory; and Barnes + Bartholomew). Other labels occasionally show up with the type of dial, but they are usually overpastes.

If you really like this type of clock you should check with Lindy Larson larsonsclocks.com as he usually has these big clocks for sale at reasonable prices.

Isn't the hunt just so much fun:???:

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
For anyone interested in these style of clocks, I recommend getting the book Connecticut Clocks Technology 1810 - 1862 by Kenneth Roberts. It pops on on Ebay from time to time. Full of information and great picures of some rare clocks.

I'm fortunate enough to be the owner of the clock pictured on the bottom right of page 105. It's a wonderful Birge & Ives with carved Columns and eagle splat.....Chris

Paul H

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2005
Country
It's now occurred to me that I forgot about a few makers that would have used to mirrored openning. These would have been John Birge, Birge + Ives; Birge + Gilbert; and Birge + Case.

Here is a picture of my Birge and Mallory Triple decker with the mirrored dial openning. (The line above the clock is a seam in the door, it's not the wire) A wire is soldered onto the tin frame surrounding the mirror. The wire extends thru the top of the case. Thus, you can pull the wire up which slides the mirror up which exposes the escapement. I guess this is intended to see if the clock is "in beat" or not.

http://pic.piczo.com/img/i79745303_45502.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockjoyner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre