Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region

Joe Collins

Jan 3, 2004
Country
Region
Hey RJ,
Don't know who made it but I have a complete set of plates for the movement in very good condition. If you or anyone else on the board happen to get it contact me. I only have the frame, no wheels.

Joe
107.gif

C

chasbaz

Ugh! That is an amazingly horrible solder joint, but it will probably melt off OK. Then it's probably better to use small nuts and bolts instead of rivets - they seem to be more rigid.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
RJ, the solder job was likely just a patch to fix loose rivets. Easily removed. Looks like a reasonably good clock if the price is right :biggrin:
Harold

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Looks like the first name ends in **vis...maybe Davis Brothers....Chris

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Here is seller reply.
---
The customer who brought it in didn't know alot about the clock. the label on the inside has peeled off at the name and all I can Make out is -VIS BROTHERS. I don't know what the name is only it ends in VIS.
---

Is Davis Brothers an actual company or where you possibly guessing? I did search on ebay for davis brothers came up empty. Guess I should have done google.

Not being critical just wondering.

Update: Google too confusing. too many other refferences.

RJ

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Also curious about the weights. One looks like it's made out of pvc pipe or something.

RJ

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
I have seen the Davis Brothers label on a calendar clock before. If I recall, it may have been an Empire style that was weight driven. The weight on this clock looks to be typical 30 hr. ogee style. It may have been painted white at one time. Glass looks original to me as does the dial....Chris

Cynthia

Jun 24, 2009
RJ -

I'm voting for that clock. I think it has lots of possibilities for your expert hand. Do you think you'll bid on it?

Are you sure about the "-<span class="ev_code_RED">V</span>IS"? It could be an "N" or an "H". The line looks parallel to the "I". But - as in other things, I could be wrong.

cyn (c:
fixme7111936

D

DrewV

My opinion? A clock in fair to good condition with possibly an original dial and lower glass. If not original, probably period replacements or perhaps early 1900s replacements. Definitely not new. Some veneer work, a new shellac finish, and some glass touchup and it could make a fine clock.

Sadly, it is my opinion also that the clock is worth more in parts than it is whole. And also, I believe the person probably has the reserve set much higher than the real monetary value of the clock.

It's a shame when you can sell a pair of Ogee weights, movement, and pendulum separately for more money than the entire clock as a whole.

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
My immediate thoughs are that it's a Gilbert clock.

I say this because (to my knowledge) only Gilbert used that "shape" for the gear spokes. The Gong base is also identical to a Gilbert one, only the ones by Gilbert were usually gold/bronze colour.

I could be wrong. It's also possible that the movement and gong are replacements.

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Many of these companies bought cases and put their labels in them. Probably the case here.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Cynthia;

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Dont know if I'm gonna bid on it. It's true what DrewV says. You can get more parting out.

What happening for me is, time I get everything tip top they nickel and dime my incentive away.

You know you can do the same thing to old old books. Just rip out the pages with printed artwork and sell em on ebay. Dang shame to kill off a good books like that, but people are making the bucks.

Lot of the good ol classics like Milton's Paradise Lost. Anything with Gustav Dore illustrations and some of the other famous artist who did prints.

All they do is buy a old 1800 book for $50 on ebay then cut out prints and sell for $15 a pop.

Dang shame.

Also Sooth might be right about the movement being a Gilbert. Looks like Gilbert Ogee movement from what I observe on ebay.

I might have to start slowing down on my clock diet. People are beginning to talk...

RJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nacht Kreatur
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre