Your opinion on this clock??????

TinkerToby

Jul 20, 2006
I need opinions about a clock I recently bid and won on ebay and was hoping to get some feedback on what you think about it. I have have Pics and will post with this if I can do that, if not I would love to email them to you and let you take a look to see them. The seller claimed it was an antique Ansonia clock and that it had been in her family in England for many, many years, supossedly dating back to the early 1800's. When the clock finally came it came in pieces and there are literally no ansonia markings on the clock.....absolutley none. I have checked every square inch of the housing and the movement and have found nothing-no numbers, no names, no insignias, atleast engraved, that is from Ansonia. There is only one faint marking on the bottom a light red rubber stamp of a few numbers 16/12 and directly beneath are the numbers 28122. The movement however has the number 144 stamped into the upper left hand corner on the back and in the lower center is a star with Junghans inside of it the word wurttemberg underneath and next to it in larger letters and numbers B21. This does not look like something they would have done in the early 1800's especially for Ansonia since they didn't start building clocks until 1850, if I'm correct. The pedulum looks like 2 cylinders of mercury in the picture or something to that effect and it turns out it is just a flat, hollow mold made to look like that. The seller packed it to ship overseas, like it was a piece of garbage. She claims I should know better, that the clock is what she said it is. It is not in my opinion but was hoping for others opinions. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

OK, I think I have this photo pasting down so let's hope the Pics are below when I post.

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

TinkerToby

Jul 20, 2006
I need opinions about a clock I recently bid and won on ebay and was hoping to get some feedback on what you think about it. I have have Pics and will post with this if I can do that, if not I would love to email them to you and let you take a look to see them. The seller claimed it was an antique Ansonia clock and that it had been in her family in England for many, many years, supossedly dating back to the early 1800's. When the clock finally came it came in pieces and there are literally no ansonia markings on the clock.....absolutley none. I have checked every square inch of the housing and the movement and have found nothing-no numbers, no names, no insignias, atleast engraved, that is from Ansonia. There is only one faint marking on the bottom a light red rubber stamp of a few numbers 16/12 and directly beneath are the numbers 28122. The movement however has the number 144 stamped into the upper left hand corner on the back and in the lower center is a star with Junghans inside of it the word wurttemberg underneath and next to it in larger letters and numbers B21. This does not look like something they would have done in the early 1800's especially for Ansonia since they didn't start building clocks until 1850, if I'm correct. The pedulum looks like 2 cylinders of mercury in the picture or something to that effect and it turns out it is just a flat, hollow mold made to look like that. The seller packed it to ship overseas, like it was a piece of garbage. She claims I should know better, that the clock is what she said it is. It is not in my opinion but was hoping for others opinions. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

OK, I think I have this photo pasting down so let's hope the Pics are below when I post.

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Mike,

It's a nice clock but I see nothing about it that would indicate it was made by Ansonia. It looks like a typical, late 19th century German factory product. Junghans was such a manufacturer. The false mercury pendulum was typical of a number of manufacturers, American as well as foreign.

Jeremy

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I agree it looks typical Black Forest to me. I have similiar clocks that aare from Germany.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
TT
It is German, from about 1900. The style of the "J" logo will date it closer.

It should be a nice clock, if the price was agreeable to you, but all these questions should be asked and pictures of the movement obtained before bidding, not after! :eek:

If the actual description is early 1800s and/or Ansonia then you have a case for misrepresentation if you wish to pursue it with eBay.
If 'twere me, I would let the seller know, politely, and leave it at that.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
As others have said it is Junghans, this star dates from 1894 so can't be earlier than that. Incidentally I have a Junghans three train westminister chime clock with B21 stamped on the movement. I think the seller was a bit nuaghty but as Mike said always best to get all the info before bidding and if they won't provide it best not to bid. Don't know what you paid for it but it is nice quality clock so hope you are not too unhappy with it.

TinkerToby

Jul 20, 2006
HI All,
Thank you all for your responses. This Clock was one of the first I bid on from ebay. Since then I have learned a valuable, or should I say an Expensive lesson. Ask FIRST.
The Clock is going to take a lot of repair work from the damage of shipping, but I will still wind up with a German clock from the 1900s instead of an American clock from the 1800s. Live and Learn. Thanks for your support. I have learned a lot from these Message Boards.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockjoyner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre