Your Favourite Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Time for tea, Apr 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have never seen a "not heavy" Winterhalder. Beautiful clocks but structurally they are tanks.

2. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well thi is my favourite for the week. Not particularly special except for the fact this is the first clock I cleaned, polished the pivots, installed two bushings, installed a new dial, re-attached the head, and re-finished the body. The only left is the "Regulator" for the glass.

20180424_190227.jpg

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I most certainly can appreciate why this clock holds a special place for you.

However, if I were you, this would be my absolute favorite:

Pittsburgh Mayor's Clock

Any new pix or updates?

RM

5. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah that's a good one. I haven't started work on that one yet. I guess I find it a little intimidating in the fact that it's such a historic piece. I've lately been working on a number of ogees ( not just works but also the old finishes) trying to hone my skills a bit before I tackle that one. I'm going to post more pictures on that one today.

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Boy! Choosing just one is tough... kind of like picking a favorite child. I guess my criteria has a lot to do with how much I have invested in it (not money, but time and sweat).

So, I choose my Seth Thomas figurine... No wait.. My Gilbert Curfew Clock!

It was one of the first clocks I worked on, and the first one I disassembled completely and installed bushings (with the help of my machinist friend). I bought it with the escape wheel out of place and for me that was a big gamble at the time since I was just starting in this hobby. I'm happy to report the operation was a success. I really like the ornamentation of the bell tower and the open escapement. I also like that the incising at the bottom is not 100% symmetric (authentic craftsmanship, not mass produced... but wait, maybe back then it was considered mass produced?). Anyway, it's kind a like Mona Lisa's crooked smile. But it is only my current favorite, because I keep looking and adding to the collection.

Tom
    primary.jpg unassembled.jpg

7. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Favourite is indeed difficult. I guess for me right now it's my Seth Thomas column and cornice, for a couple of reasons. Like others it's because of the effort that went into getting it operating or "solving the puzzle". The puzzle is both aggravating and immensely rewarding for me as a new guy to the hobby. The second reason is that these clocks were imported specifically for the Canadian market before this nation was even a country.
    IMG_3587.JPG

sylvester12 likes this.
  8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Of course I still own this clock. It is one of my favorite clocks. By the date of the thread I estimated I've owned it for about 10 months.

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh, good. I couldn't believe it.

Uhralt

11. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It has been great seeing everyone's favorites as well as the new thread about "least favorites". So this is my weak reason for bumping this thread back to the top again...

I mentioned that I had several copies of my first "keeper" and that I have three of them displayed together which probably had some of you thinking "Whew, weirder than usual, even for you Bob"; so I thought a picture might make a little more sense. I took this with my phone and unfortunately had to compress the file so it's a little grainy but you can get the idea.

The clock in the middle with the New Haven movement was part of my first real clock purchases and is my favorite The one on the left I bought a month later and it was a basket case but the tablet is in great shape. I found a donor clock and added the pieces it was missing. It has a Welch movement (I've had several with Welch and with New Haven movements - they used both). These clocks were giveaways that hung on the store wall until someone won them. When they got home I'm sure the proud new owner thought to themselves, great clock but that advertising has got to go! What you end up with is a clock like the one on the right (Welch movement again) and I thought it only fair to display one. Either the tablet is completely cleared off and only the acid etched lettering remains (yup, I have one like that too back in the workshop), or someone gets creative, like in this case, and paints a lovely(?) group of flowers over the advertising, making it a terrific clock to hang in the parlor. So there you have it... a favorite that got out of control.

Bob

POR - all three S.jpg

gleber and PatH like this.
  12. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What an interesting collection and story! Do you happen to have any ads that tell about the contests? It's amazing how many clocks and watches found their way into homes through give-aways or as premiums. I've never seen any like this before - and you have several. Very nice.

Pat

13. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Pat,

A couple years back I found a short newspaper "article" dated to 1878 titled PRIDE that expounded the virtues of this tobacco and then went on to describe a clock giveaway. If a store owner bought a 100 pound case of Pride of Rochester Smoking Tobacco they would be given a clock to hang on the wall. But the deal was S. F. Hess tucked the invoice for the clock in one of the tobacco pouches. If you were the lucky person to buy that pouch, you got to take the clock home, which is why I think they picked a nicer than usual clock to advertise on (people would want to win it) and why 95% of these clocks have the advertising removed from the glass, or over painted like the example on my wall (they went to homes). So a trade stimulater of sorts.

Bob

PatH likes this.
  14. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    OK, it’s not strictly a clock - but my favourite thing right now is the display case I made this weekend to house a selection of my carriage clock collection.. Hard to pick a favourite clock out of these, but the Beguin on the top right started me with carriage clocks, and the Empire style Garnier bottom left was my best find - this is Garnier’s no 384, so about the 100th carriage clock he ever made, and is completely different from the run of the mill clocks he was making (for example the one second from left on the top row). But it needs considerable work to put it back to the way it was made - someone decided they wanted a mantle clock not a carriage clock, so removed the handle and changed the hands.

875DAC24-552A-4FA4-9197-03EFE219819C.jpeg

musicguy, PatH and sylvester12 like this.
  15. Time for tea

Time for tea Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Cool collection Zedric

16. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I contributed to this thread what seems like a lifetime ago. I don't even know which verge I was talking about might become my next favourite.

I would struggle to name a favourite now, one of two I think, and both are running though neither is allowed to strike.

It's either John Knibb
    John Knibb, Oxon, real or make believe?

or Thomas Hall
    Thomas Hall, Longford, early moon roller, 1730s?

Both very special I think. They both look brilliant for a start and it gives me a lot of pleasure to see them each day. The Knibb, of course, is quite a coup for the collection, but the Hall is too in its own way. I doubt I'll see another of either in a hurry.

17. Time for tea

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi Nick, they are both interesting clocks.

18. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, both got completed this year. Slowly working through the collection, fewer purchases more cabinet maker and clock repairer invoices to pay.

19. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    my mother once called me indecisive...she's right...I don't know which of these is my favorite

clock wall.jpg

RAK and PatH like this.
  20. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    my favourite?? my favourite clock is the one that I´m longing to at the moment ,the one that I´m restoring right now or that I´ve just finished. After that they become "one of my clocks" which doesn´t mean I don´t love it any more; I do and appreciate each at sight recalling the story when I got it, or -if presented- from whom I got it. I don´t trade clocks, sometimes I give them away to good friends trying to infect others with the clock virus , or if a friend asked me "... if You ever come across....then grab it for me !" I pass them over without profit. So my "favourite clock" changes from time to time,
    But :
    In the early 80ies I made several tours through the south of the UK together with my dad (in his late 60ies at that time) on a motorcycle, and on one of those journeys I found this clock in a shop in Salesbury .It´s a high quality repro with a double going barrel 8 day movement governed by a 11jewel swiss platform and the gear box for the planets is powered by a shaft form one of the barrels.It shows Mercury,Venus,Earth with a silver moon,Mars,Jupiter and Saturn with its ring circeling around the sun in their natural speed,the earth taking one year to pass through all months.The Zodiac is also represented in the armillarsphere.
    At that time it took some effords to have it shipped to Germany and it was not cheap in relation to my income at that time but I had to have it!.
    Anyhow I have it running since that time -of cause with short interruptions for service- and it reminds me of the wonderfull tours along the cathedrals of south England with my father.
    Burkhard

DSCN4544.JPG DSCN4545.JPG DSCN4547.JPG DSCN4548.JPG DSCN4549.JPG DSCN4546.JPG

124Spider, RAK, etmb61 and 3 others like this.
  21. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is quite a nifty clock burkhard

22. Time for tea

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi Burkhard, that is a great story and a very interesting clock, thanks for sharing it.