You look aged...

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by gleber, Feb 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If necessity is the mother of invention, experimentation must be its aunt...

I'm working on a cuckoo clock crown that was carved by someone else (I wish I had carved it, it's beautiful). I'm trying to get it to match the original surround. I was concerned about getting the new piece to look like it lived through 100+ years of the clock's life. Here is the story of what I did.

I started with the carved piece, which had no finish. I applied Minwax Special Walnut wood finish, which was darker than the original by a pretty noticeable amount. I wish I had taken a photo at this stage, but I didn't. I am using the same stain on another piece I'm working on and I added that piece to the photos can see how much darker it was.

Last time I tried this, I went up in my attic and scraped up some dust and tried to rub it in, but is wasn't as effective as I had hoped. I decided to be more aggressive this time.

I got some diatomaceous earth (DE) and applied it liberally to the piece. The stain was almost dry, but slightly tacky. My first thought was Oh No, what have I done? You can get DE for your pool filter or garden at home and garden stores.

de.jpg

I then used compressed air and a toothbrush to brush it off.

I applied Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil using an almost dry brush and only covering the high areas. It was looking good, but not quite as light as I thought it should be. So, after it dried a little, but again while it was still tacky, I applied another coat of DE, dusted it off and then another final coat of Tung Oil.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results. You can see how dark it was when originally applied by looking at the face piece from a Mission clock in the upper left of the first photo. I also overlaid the two pieces for a better comparison. I'd say it worked great. It's really hard to tell, especially from across the room.

crown_frame.jpg final.jpg

I'd love to hear from other people on how they age finish to match original pieces which have developed a nice rich patina.

Thanks for reading,
    Tom

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have you considered tea to age the wood? haven't done it myself but from what I see online it seems to work.
    Ron

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have heard about tea. Something about tannins. I have been looking into ebonizing formulas, but haven't tried anything yet. I thought these mostly turned the wood black?

Thanks,
    Tom

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I think you did a fantastic job matching it up!

Rob

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Rob. I was really pleased when I overlaid the two pieces. I've tried to match other pieces before with some success, but it is really hard to get that perfect match. I think this one is close and one of my best so far.

Tom

Kevin W. likes this.
  6. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are about as many techniques as there are restorers. You can use any combination of items/products: dust, powders, glazes, paints, dyes, dry-brushing, stains, aerosol sprays, waxes, oils, sand, heat, acids, the list in nearly endless. I have techniques that I was using years ago that I've completely switched for others. It's often a case-by-case basis.

7. wcampbell

wcampbell Registered User

Nov 25, 2013
    Male
    Aircraft Mechanic / Contractor
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very clean. Outstanding job blending the color and finish. would be great if you posted a pic the finished project to see how it all comes together.

8. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. I had to set this project aside for a while, but I am working on carving a pendulum. When complete, I'll post photos of it complete and set up.

Tom