You do what you gotta do

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jun 27, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    When you reach my age…you do what you can only do.

For example, I went to the same barber for nigh unto fifty years. He closed his shop and does one day a week in some hotel outside of Philadelphia. I will not drive too far a distance from home.

One of the ladies that worked with him did both male and female hair and also pedicures. She now free lances and will visit customer's homes. I called her this morning and made arrangements to come to my home and give me a haircut.

This will be her second visit tomorrow at 2:00 PM. Saves me and my bum knees from struggling to go to a new barber and maybe a bad haircut.

My beautiful crazy cat Johnnie II will hide until she's finished the job and has gone from the premises. Johnnie II runs and hides whenever the door bell rings or she hears any footsteps on the steps leading to the front door. But, when she hears the garage door opening…she'll run down to the ground floor to greet me. Go figure!

Funny, she needs me…just as much…as I need her company and comfort in my old age.

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My barber had a shop in the worst fleabag hotel in the city, until the owner of the hotel turned the business over to his son. The barber and I belong to the same old time fiddle group, that's why I go to him. This is a hotel you don't go to unless you want bed bugs......or worse! Anyway, my barber has been kicked out! Presently, he is contemplating options. I would normally have had my summer trim by now, but I can wait. I guess I'll have to, or change barbers!

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan I am also in the same boat as you. I have followed my barber for 30 years. Initially he went from shop to shop, then had his own, eventually decided to do it out of his house, and in the past 5 years has been making house calls. Very convenient for me to come to my place.

Glad it is working out for you.

David

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had my own private barber for 20 years, my wife cut mine. she gave it up about 5 years ago and I found an old (72) barber who could cut it right. Unfortunately I am moving the end of next month and will have to find another person who won't want to style it or some other crap for $50.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Richiec: You remind me of some big shot that paid four hundred bucks for a haircut. I am no skinflint, but $50 to pay for a haircut is a lot too much. For years my barber was happy to get $15.00 per haircut with a couple bucks tip. He'd do at least three cuts per hour and he had a constant flow of repeat customers. Believe me, with a shop of four chairs (for males) (three for female) doing both male and female hair work the living was easy.

The payoff was my barber started losing his hair at an early age, he wore a hairpiece (wig) after a few years he gave that up and decided to grow a mustache to compensate for the bald head. I never heard him complain about the loss of his hair. He was smart enough to take what life gives you and made a nice living cutting the hair on other men...while he had none.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've always hated hair cuts, and never had a personal barbor. I go to the cut rate places who offer senior discounts - usually $12.00 including the tip.
    I was one of those "long haired freaky people" from the sixties and seventies, but gave that up 40 years ago :)

7. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I get my hair cut about once every 6 months - whether it needs it or not. At one of those cut-rate places.

And I wear what's comfortable, not what's stylish. And I've told my wife that I'll come back to haunt her if she makes me wear a tie to my own funeral. IMHO, the idiot who invented neckties should have been hung by the very first one - and the secret should have died with him! My neck muscles are hyper-developed, I assume as a result of playing the oboe as a teenager & music major in college. I can't buy shirts off the rack that fit both my neck and my body. Shirts that fit my neck have shoulder seams 3-4 inches down each arm, and standard length sleeves extend to my fingertips. Before my middle-aged spread, the waist of shirts that fit my neck were more than a foot larger than MY waist. With some shirts, I could fully extend my arms while holding the waist of the shirt.

8. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #8 dweiss17, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    More on what you gotta do

Due to my knee problems I try to buy whatever I need on the Internet. Mostly, I use Amazon. Trying to order something over the Internet at times is very frustrating. You click on what you want to buy and a dozen other offers take over the page you are trying to order from.

Finally, you get disgusted enough to call the Amazon person to person phone number; very often the person who answers has a deep accent you may not understand or they are talking a mile a minute and you do not grasp one word said.

Today, I ordered a new microwave and a used Epson C120 printer. It took some doing…but finally I achieved my objective. I received confirmation on both orders and await their arrival in the next week or sooner.

Why Amazon or other Internet sellers do not stick to the one page where you can finish your order without undue problems, I will never know. They are not happy to sell you what you want…but they have to intersperse the objective with a lot of pages of stuff you do not want or need.

However, I am thankful I do not have to drive to some store to buy what I want and then lug it home with my bad knees and climb the 12-13 stairs and two landings. The order will be delivered to my front door and often the shipping can be free. So I am happy for the little things that makes your life a little easier to live.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe Amazon offers the best price usually, and to prove it, shows you several popular competitors prices. I admit it's frustrating to me too.

10. TimeMonster

TimeMonster Registered User
    Donor

Jun 30, 2013
    Male
    Owner of Vintage M/C Restoration, restoration cons
    Phx. Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    lol, yea I was a long hair back then too, before & after I got out of the military, kept it tied back most of the time? nowadays, I get my haircut at great clips twice a yr when they have a $7.99 special, always give a $5 or $6 tip, trim it up myself in between times. But it wasnt always this way.
    For about 10yrs I had a personal barberette, She was a registered beautician and worked at a salon, but since she lived 2 doors down,,, I would go to her house, at first I would get my haircut twice a month, then it got to be once a week, boy she was a hot lil thing, great personality too, she knew how to cut my hair and gave a great massage, and she rarely if ever charged me (I always gave her a good tip) She would always say as I was leaving, "That Was Fun Cyas Soon!" Wasnt till after she moved out of state that I realized what a dumbazz I was, I could of & should of married that girl...