You can't save them all

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Jun 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have a deal with hundreds of Scrappers around the country that before they scrapped a pocket watch to give us a call! We couldn't say this one because it had almost $3,000 in scrap gold but we were able to save the movement. It's a curiosity as well. This fellow Nieberg may have been loosely associated with Tiffany according to the internet. He was quite a an accomplished horologist again according to the internet. Check out the serial number anomaly. A four digit serial number on the back perhaps his own and then a 5 digit serial number underneath The dial. Quite unusual. And not much is known about this fellow that I can find. Just that he made some chronometers and that he was an extremely competent watch repair. His first name was Frederick evidently. Anyone have any ideas on this?

20180607_162857.jpg 20180607_164145.jpg 20180607_164230.jpg

2. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From the limited things I know, and I am sure many others know way more....and you probably already know this....

Tiffany movements like that one were contracted Swiss movements. I always suspected Agassiz of being the maker of that style of movement. Of course there are Meylan with a similar style. But I have always been of the opinion it was Agassiz and I think others do too. So 2 possibilities. One is where the jeweler named on the movement ordered from the same maker Tiffany was using and had his PL put on it or.....He paid enough money to Tiffany to have one made PL for him. Essentially if Tiffany acted like an agent in a way like Ball did with Hamilton with this one company they ordered from. Being a watchmaker he may have done work for Tiffany and had an "in" on getting something ordered.

Just my thoughts.......

3. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff, would you think this matches ! Check under dial as the setting is quite different .. close cover to return to winding... I have 2-3 more examples with different names... appears to be a LeCoulter made Movement.. Ill get photos of the others when I return home... If you are interested in “disposing”of this movement, let me know ...

D09A5C8D-9039-4227-9166-864F2CF5FB02.jpeg 0ADB1B34-102F-4019-B818-1749668B4D82.jpeg

4. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another with a different style regulator ..
    upload_2018-6-7_16-39-54.jpeg

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can someone point me to the discussions where this top plate design and the Wilmot regulator marking are not associated with the Tiffany Factory in Geneva? I had not heard of other companies providing movements to Tiffany during this period. I had thought that when the factory folded and the property was sold to Patek that the remaindered movements went out with many names.

6. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Jeff,

I appreciate what you are doing. While I am primarily intersted in the movements, the scrapping of gold cases is a real tragedy. I lived through the 1980s when gold hit $800. To tell the truth, I am using a lot of silveroid cases for RR watches. But that does nothing for repeaters or chronos or even time only PPs. The only way these can be saved is by establihng relationships and paying a percentage over gold. Most of your pieces are out of my collector boundary, but I am very glad there are people like you.

I do understand gold though. But I bought Maple leafs for that. $250 per in 2001. But scrapping gold cases is like the radical religionists who destroy 1000 year works. Special place in Hell and all that.

7. W.T. Owen

W.T. Owen Registered User

Apr 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All this is completely over my head but I didn't see Tiffiny anywhere on this movement so why is it Tiffany ?

8. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The basic movenent is a LeCoultre that was used by Tiffany. Based on the other names on the movements, other Jewelers used them too. But many, including myself, see this style of movement and we think Tiffany.

9. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Slightly different style, same period, with an ebauche by Badolett. Probably stripped of it's
    original gold hunter case by some "Crack Head", near anyone's grandmother. :rolleyes:

Keith R...

Spence 004 (800x600).jpg

10. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I am sure that I have 2 or more movements like the ones in this post. The only way I can get into my Unit at the moment is get the first Bus at 5.55AM to my Unit and get in before the workers start. I had to do this yesterday because I had to get a movement to return to the seller for a refund. I think I have a Tiffany movement in the Safe in my room; I will have a look. Regards Ray

11. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I reckon this would be a good place for Case Scrappers? Regards Ray

0000276b.jpeg

12. Keith R...