York --> photos

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by zepernick, Jun 15, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be a Good Thing and Kind Deed if those MB/Clocks folk who are attending the NAWCC National in York, PA later this week were to take photos of any interesting clocks they spot or buy, and then share them (whether photos or clocks) with those of us who are unable to attend because of ankle monitors.

Zep

2. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great idea Zep. Mike

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    My BW and I spent today at the Mart in York. As soon as I have a chance, I will post some pictures of what I bought, more than I intended, but less than I was tempted.

4. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah; They tol' me when they installed my ankle monitor not to leave home.
    I bought a mobile home.

5. T.W.P

T.W.P Registered User

Jan 10, 2008
    It cost 70.00 just to look at all the stuff for sale i think it only fitting that photos will be charged for also.

6. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    LOL Scottie.

TWP. If you decided to join the NAWCC to enjoy all of the benefits and assist in our mission to further horology and stuff, not the least of which is this MB which is open to all (never was sure about "and sundry" as we didn't even have saturdry), and as well, visit the mart at a National, it all seems from this even poverty-stricken-pov to be what it is, a bargain.

As far as charging for photos, Steven's efforts with photos as with moderating are considered to be part of his duties, for which he is handsomely renumbed. Renumberated. Am sure he considers us, in fact, to be his own stimulus package.

Zep

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    :DStimulus? Stompulus? It does indeed stimulate -- like a rusty nail in the foot.

9. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    My wife and I attended the mart at the York National both Friday and Saturday. Our attendance Friday was planned, but the trip back Saturday was more or less impromptu. We had not wanted leave our son alone again a second day and were, therefore, pleasantly surprise when he said he wouldn’t mind going. Not jumping-up-and-down enthusiasm for the trip, but sufficient willingness, nonetheless. He is kind of at loose ends until his scheduled summer activities begin. It was interesting to be there, but Saturday was disappointing. Friday attendance at the mart was not so heavy as I expected, if you discount the crush at the 10:00 a.m. general opening. (I decided not to spring for the extra $40.00/person to go to the early-bird admission. I was surprised to see a number of tables empty even on Friday and wondered if they were extra tables set up “just in case,” or were for sellers who in the end did not show up. Saturday, we got there between 11:00 and 11:30 and were dismayed to see even more vacancies and many sellers already packing. By 12:30 – 1:00 p.m., there were only a few determined sellers who were not packing to leave. Admittedly attendance was sparse at that time, but I believe the mart was scheduled to go on until 3:00 or 4:00 p.m.

There were some nice clocks there and some rather ordinary things. Some sellers had priced to sell (they hoped); others seemed a bit high. Most sellers were pleasant and helpful; at least one (name forgotten) was unnecessarily rude when I had the audacity to pick up a porcelain clock with a cheapy balance movement to look at it better. I nearly threw it at him when he made protestations that I needed to be careful not to break it. My wife and I just walked off, “muttering spells like an angry Druid.” Why display them if folks cannot inspect them? I am proud to say that I managed to attend both days without damaging anything.

On the other side of the coin, I had some pleasant conversations with Jerry and Millie Maltz (from whom I bought two clocks – such is the power of their charm), and with Peter Nunes (a gentleman as well as horological scholar), among many others (names, alas, forgotten). I also said hello to David Labounty, who was busily helping real customers. I saw Phil Gregory and Markus Harris at a distance and thought I caught a fleeting glimpse of Tom McIntyre, who probably saw me coming and ran.

In sum, I only attended the mart, walked out Friday with 3 clocks (when I had only intended to buy perhaps one). But, it is good to say that I was able to make some part of a National; it was too close not to (1 1/2 hour drive, although using Route 30 makes it seem longer). It also may not be in the cards to do it again, but if I do, I may take the wife and go for the whole thing, placing the boy and pets in suitable foster care.

I did not take pictures (Schade!), having managed to forget the camera both days (Dummkopf!). My cell phone has a camera function, but I prefer to use the phone for making calls (imagine that – I always have been something of a Luddite). In the New Acquisitions forum I will be posting my purchases, when I get my act together. Despite what Zep says (that misleader of the innocent), I will not be charging for the photos.

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven, sounds like you didn't take in any of the workshops.
    My wife and I have a system, whereby when she has seen enough clocks, she takes the car and goes shopping, leaving me free to roam. I pick the workshops that interest me, and she picks the malls that interest her.
    Regionals are the same as far as the last day having slim pickins, but often the best buys, as many vendors don't really want to take everything back home.
    Not a good idea to have the public allowed in on just the last day, as some regionals are doing, just to watch everyone scrambling to leave.

11. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #11 Steven Thornberry, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    I didn't really see a lot of deep (or even reasonable) cuts on the last day, although one guy offered me a 30-hour ST column clock (weight driven) for $125.00. It had an interesting (but, I think, non-original) tablet, but I already had two and no interest or room for a third. If discounts were being made, they weren't offered to us, pathetic poor folk that we are. Of course, there was a mad scramble to close up and go; so, customers (admittedly few) often went ignored. I suspect that Father's Day (today) may have had something to do with the exodus.

I didn't really budget time for the workshops, particularly as my wife was along, and our son was home alone on Friday, and on Saturday his tolerance would have been sore tried. York does not impress me as a hotbed of activity; all the malls seem to be along Route 30, a tiresome road at best, in my estimation. Downtown seems a lost cause, at least along Market Street. (No intention of slighting the folk who live there or enjoy it; my experience is limited.)

Don't get me wrong, it was fun to see the clocks, of all types and descriptions. A lot of temptations, if I had unlimited resources and space. And there were good deals in spots, but ultimate condition was always a question in my mind.

It will be interesting to get a different perspective from others who were there the whole time and did other than attend the Mart. My persepctive is very limited.

12. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Steven for taking time to give us some of your impressions!

Looking back on the handful of Nationals I've attended so far, it struck me that what I still value most was meeting up with friends, including those who'd only had "virtual" faces up to then. And chatting with and learning from other horofolk newly met. The same is true with Regionals, some of which such as the one in Pasadena are quite large.

Like atmosphere, such factors are sometimes considered "soft," and I suspect don't show up in the reports sent in to Columbia.

Yet that's looking back. At the time, my most active memory from the Cleveland National was -- sitting in an airplane on the way home, looking out the window, watching the last of the luggage being loaded -- spotting the carton that had been wrapped with bright FRAGILE! tape that held my purchase in it being thrown onto the conveyer belt.

"That's my clock in there, you ______s" someone, perhaps me, must have yelled. For the lady in the seat next to me was too upset to even munch her assorted nuts.

Zep

13. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Zep, you should have bought an extra ticket for that clock, so it could have sat beside you:Party::D:D.
    Cleveland was my last national, and I had a great time there.:thumb:

14. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This was my first national. I arrived Thursday to go to the museum and library. A very nice experience (my second time to visit the museum). My friend and I spent most of our time in the library, he obtaining dial painting info and me movement repair info. At the mart, I found more tools and supplies than clocks. Perhaps this vender could be added to the "sticky list" above milehiclocksupplies.com. I took a wrong turn looking for a book vendor and ended up with a 8 day cuckoo instead.:p I got my Balcomb book eventually. Lots of nice clocks that you don't see typically.

15. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vernon, Milehi is already among the suppliers in the sticky:D.
    Didn't anyone take any pictures:eek:

16. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I saw a few folks with cameras; so, maybe some will show up in the next few days. Everyone needs to unwind from the National and rest up from Fathers Day, as well :)Party:).

17. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was lucky enough to be able to attend the reverse glass painting class on thursday, and was very glad I did. The instructor was wonderful, and I filled a lot of my knowledge holes when it came to working with oils.
    I was the first one in the door at the mart Friday morning.
    The *Down* side to that, was there were no table holders in there either! I had to wait for them to filter in to uncover their tables.
    I managed to pick up 8 ogees for an excellent price. They were from the pile on the *empty* side of the room. If you were there, you probably saw the pile.
    Lot of good people there. I also had to the chance to talk with Mr. Nunes who was a very nice fellow. Didn't see Mr. Labounty there.. probably should have read the name tags a bit closer.

Thankfully my wife decided to spare my life when she saw my haul.
    ~Fumey

18. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hey Fumey-

You probably saw us and didn't realize it! We had a table full of DVDs and a projector showing a video. Of course, with all the fabulous clocks around, I was frequently drawn away from our mart table to "browse" and could have missed you.

I was impressed with the number of MB folks who were there and actively looking for their kindred spirits. It was almost like a scavenger hunt and I lost count of the number of familiar names I can now put a face with :). That alone made this year's National very enjoyable.

I felt the percentage of clocks vs. watches was up over past conventions and, while there were several watch tables, the majority were tables full of complete clocks. A few tables with parts, and a few with tools, rounded out what I thought was an above average selection of material.

I can't wait to do this again next year in Kansas City!

Regards,

19. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kansas City? Hmmmmm.

20. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I forgot to bring my charger and a charged battery...so here are two, from Wednesday afternoon, the first 'setup' window. Not many people showed up for mart setup until the Thursday afternoon period.

I thought the National was well attended. There was a wide range of clocks and watches available. Pricing went from steals to retail.

I attended the American section Antiquarian Horological Society program delivered by Fortunat. It was a PowerPoint presentation of their annual horological tour. I won a $25 mart dollar certificate and a 2009 watch pricing guide.

Ralph

Attached Files:

21. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Well, as a person who knows nothing about clocks and collects watches, its seems its up to me; taken a few minutes after the opening.

I did hear a talk on Pennsylvanian clocks, which increased my knowledge from 0% to somewhat more, and I did look at a few clocks without much comprehension. Except my favourite craft competition piece was a miniature tower clock which, for me, was to die for.

Attached Files:

22. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah. I also am enamored with miniature towers. Even in an apt. I'd be sorely tempted if the right one came along.

23. laprade

laprade Banned

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    Richard: what would modern civilization do with out mobile/cell phones!

I'm waiting for some pics of clocks: come on guys!

Scottie: I am waiting for some pictures of the smallest real turret/tower clock in the world, and will hopefully be posting them soon. If I remember rightly, the dial is only a couple of inches in diam, and the building which houses it, about 2 foot high. Can you guess? I'll give a clue. "midsummer nights dream"

24. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Cell phone! I used a camera!

Actually, I left Australia with a phone that Nokia swore blind would work in the US. It didn't. I bought an "international" phone at LA airport which didn't work at all, so I left it in a trash can in Boston. Then I got an "international" phone in Boston that did work. Until I took it back to Australia where it didn't, of course! I have decided that the only reliable service is global priority mail; at least that does work.

25. laprade

laprade Banned

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    Richard, I was referring to the person in the foreground of one of your shots: he was on his cell phone!

26. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Mark Frank has a sweet diorama with a working model of the Westminster clock.

http://www.my-time-machines.net/big_ben_detail.htm

I have a small Swedish, Dahl, that I would consider miniature and an interesting English miniature, Cope & Pearce, with a remontoire... it might be a street clock?...

The seth Thomas #4 is a much sought after tower/street clock movement.

Ralph

Attached Files: