• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Yes, another Hamilton Pocket watch post

Tom Hurley

Oct 23, 2020
Country
Hello All,

I have a Hamilton 917 Pocket Watch, serial number X17561, I inherited from my Great Uncle Pat when he passed away in 1986. He served in WW2, and I I was 16 at the time of his passing. My mom just handed it to me a week or so after the funeral, saying Uncle Pat wanted you to have this. It was not working when she gave it to and truth be told, I just wasn't interested in pocket watches. The watch remained inside a box with some other heirlooms and later a drawer but through the years has moved all over the country with me as part of my stuff. I never really gave it much thought, until I found it cleaning out an old two drawer chest. I was floored, hadn't seen the thing in a least a dozen years. I just moved it to the new chest of drawers amd forgot about it again. In the last few years though I have taken more of an interest in watches and remembered this old thing. I only knew about Hamilton Watches from Hollywood, I thought it might be cool to fix it and carry it. I was going through a period where I wasnt wearing a watch at all, and thought a pocket watch might get me into watches again. On a whim, in 2015, I took it to a jeweler/watch repair guy in Northern Virginia. He had the watch for a few days then called me about it. He told me very little about the watch itself, but did say it would cost me about $700.00 to fix it.

Well, I didn't believe him, and I didn't want to get scammed and I didn't have the funds to do this, so I went and picked up the watch and its still broken. I know value and worth are subjective but he wouldn't tell me exactly what was wrong with it. I have no idea what to do with it.

Recently I came across this forum while looking into another watch and thought I would post up something to see what sort of history and repair Information could be dug up.

please help with any info you might have regarding this watch.
upload_2020-10-23_15-9-33.jpeg

upload_2020-10-23_15-10-4.jpeg

upload_2020-10-23_15-10-26.jpeg

Thanks all!!

Tom

Reactions: Mike M.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Tom, unless it needs some rare part, maybe 200 to do a good job cleaning and oiling plus parts would sound good to me.

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
Many jewelers do not actually repair them. They ship it out. I agree with the above statements.
This board doesn't like people promoting their businesses here. That is why Private Messages are used. You are in the right place though.
PM as requested above. You will be treated right, and fair. You have a great family heirloom.

Tom Hurley

Oct 23, 2020
Country
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses and info!!!

musicman, I may reach out to you for that referral pretty soon.