Yellow cast brass for restoring movements

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Jul 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    I am looking for a supplier who can supply me with some cast yellow brass. I need the same color brass as is the color of the 18th century movement. Otherwise I will have to melt brass myselve, I have sufficient old scrap 18th cent. movements (parts). Has any of the forummembers had any succes in melting brass?

2. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    try looking up "time restored" a UK company, they sell sections in different sizes , yellow brass.
    David

3. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Dave, I will take a look there.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
  5. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again!

6. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got brass from them before and it's a good colour match to the English clocks I have restored. Obviously it's soft so will need to be work hardened if you want to use it for wheels etc.

Cheers

7. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Say one has a furnace capable of melting brass (I do) and can cast it in any shape desired (I can)...
    How would one go about casting and work-hardening this brass, presuming one doesn't have a 500-ton rolling mill available (I don't).
    Just cast a cylindrical slug and start wailing on it with a hammer and anvil to flatten it?
    If one were going to make wheels, how much flattening should be done? Say... A one inch slug hammered out to 1/8 inch thickness?
    Start out with a half inch thick slug?
    A quarter inch slug?

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    basically you have it, though I doubt you need to start out 1" thick. Brass was hammered because rolling mills didn't exist and then when they did they weren't readily available.

Some makers explored the improvement that could have in hardness and started using the technique for that reason, not just because it was part of the production process. I read about two of our locals being involved in that Delaunce and Debnam.

9. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hi folks, back again with some news. I have taken a look at the prices for yellow cast brass and I have decided to go casting myselve :coolsign: I just ordered a 3kg Goldbrunn electric mini furnace. I have plenty of scrap (18th century) movementplates etc etc from English clocks. I was advised this was the right color brass I need for my job. It takes an investment, but at the end I think it will be cheaper then buying in ready cast brass. And more-over I am looking forward in casting my own brass :) I also ordered 5 kilogram forming sand so all I need now is to make models in wood and use them with te sand as models. Will keep you informed. MartinM, I am curious in your experiences with casting.

10. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This sounds good, there is always a demand for small batch casting for clock restoration.

11. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Did someone already place an order :???: :excited:

12. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    need a set of spandrels for Mr Knibb :)

13. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    What kind of spandrels and size. I have a small collection originals, perhaps..........

14. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    single cherub. not the London style ones. I think I have a pic

[​IMG]

Bottom right in pic, that's off another 30 hour, bit small I think.

15. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you've ever done it in metal shop, etc. it's about the same. I use the basic cope and drag method. The one time I tried a cask, it fell apart because I didn't pack it tightly enough and the part was probably a bit too big for the frame . If someone were to do some CNC molds in graphite, they'd probably make a lot of money.
    It's a higher temp and you really need to use an oil-based (Petrobond, etc.) sand, instead of water. And clean flux (I use borax).
    Because of the zinc, make sure you're well upwind of the fumes. The furnace may say it can be used, indoors, but unless you've got industrial air handling (especially on the first burn-in) the environment will be toxic.
    Make sure to do a test pour or two before trying to commit to a real part as the technique isn't very ergonomic and it's easy to spill/splatter in ways you weren't expecting.
    The Hardin type crucibles and tongs are, by far, the easiest to use.

16. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've read about 'cast plate' cuckoo clocks on this forum, but I've never seen one. If those plates were actually cast and not rolled or hammered afterward, wouldn't some investigation into whatever technique they used be helpful? The thought of hammering sheet brass out of a cast slug would have me casting (sic) about for some alternative method.

M Kinsler

17. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They are cast as a flat sheet but thicker than the final requirement as casting very thin sheet sections is likely to lead to some gaps. You do see some faults in dial sheets, they are acceptable if under the chapter ring.

Longcase dial plates from the North of England often had a sort of cartwheel spoked look under the chapter ring to save brass. Although these are called cutouts they were usually there when cast.