Yahoo Horology Group. Are any NAWCC Clock Construction members part of this group?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Paul Madden, May 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Madden

Paul Madden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Male
    Bienne, Switzerland
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone,

I was looking at the home page of the horology-matters@yahoogroups.com, and I was wondering if this group has a specific sub-group for clock construction, or has regular posts by their members which are in this direction?

From what I can see, it is a restricted group, and you need to be accepted. It also appears that the groups main activity is watch and clock repair and restoration?

My interest is specifically in clock construction, and purely as a hobby, not in a professional capacity.

My question is, are any members of this Clock Construction forum also members of the Yahoo Horology Matters Group, and like me, are not linked to clock making in a professional capacity?

If anyone has more information about this group, and if its suitable for hobbyists who wish to construct clocks, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Best wishes in the meantime,

Paul Francis Madden

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 John Hubby, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Re: Yahoo Horology Group. Are any NAWCC Clock Construction members part of this grou

Paul, thanks for posting. I'm a member of Horology-Matters and they do not have a subgroup focused on clock construction. Their focus is about 25% on matters related to the American Clockmakers-Watchmakers Institute (organizational and political stuff), 45% on watches, 20% on clock service and repair, and 10% on miscellaneous topics.

I suggest you check out mlhorology on yahoogroups. That group was founded in 2003 and now has almost 1500 members. It was started with a focus on clock construction using Myford 7 lathes and other miniature lathe and machine tools but have expanded their focus to include clock construction of all kinds, from beginners projects to sophisticated jewelers regulators and the like. This could be what you are looking for as they are completely open to hobbyists as well as professionals. You do have to register and be accepted to the group but that should not be an issue based on what you have posted.

Hope this helps!

3. Paul Madden

Paul Madden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Male
    Bienne, Switzerland
    Country Flag:
    Re: Yahoo Horology Group. Are any NAWCC Clock Construction members part of this grou

Dear John,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. The mlhorology yahoo group you mentioned could be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of learning more about clock design and construction. I will definitely follow your recommendation!

Thanks again John for pointing me in the right direction, and have a wonderful weekend.

Best wishes,

Paul.