Xerox and watchmakers

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Rick White, Feb 22, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick White

Rick White Guest

A recent court decision involving Xerox corporation rights to limit who they sell their parts to was just upheld. Basically what that means is Xerox can exclude independent repairers from purchasing their parts. Many independent watchmakes have been keping an eye on this case, as they have not been able to purchase parts from Rolex, Le Coultre and other watch companies for the same reasons, unless of course they pay expensive franchise fees. This makes repairing your watch more expensive. Does that suck or what:???:

------------------
    Rick White
    Pocket Watches Moderator

2. Rick White

Rick White Guest

A recent court decision involving Xerox corporation rights to limit who they sell their parts to was just upheld. Basically what that means is Xerox can exclude independent repairers from purchasing their parts. Many independent watchmakes have been keping an eye on this case, as they have not been able to purchase parts from Rolex, Le Coultre and other watch companies for the same reasons, unless of course they pay expensive franchise fees. This makes repairing your watch more expensive. Does that suck or what:???:

------------------
    Rick White
    Pocket Watches Moderator

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rick,

I agree! I have heard that these so-called "official" repair centres are having enormous problems keeping up with the work. This can be evidenced in all the trade journals with the quantity of advertising for qualified watch repair people. I recently visited the national head office of a major watch company who shall remain nameless, and they told me that they no longer hire "watchmakers" as they come with too many bad habits. This company hires people right off the street with no experience whatsoever, and turns them into watchmakers! These people only dismantle and re-assemble watches which are then turned over to the head watchmaker for final adjustment etc. These companies assert that they are tightening up on the parts in order to maintain a standard! Hiring people right off the street maintains a standard? Hah! What is even more disturbing to the vintage watch fanatic is that these companies are sitting on perhaps the biggest treasure trove of vintage watch parts, and they won't SERVICE the vintage watches that need these parts, and they won't SELL THE PARTS! Restrictive trade practices? I guess!!

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

4. kset51

kset51 Guest

The AWI is following this case closely. They have, for a few years, been gathering information from watchmakers who have been denied parts from manufacturers and I assume they will do something eventually.
    Case in point:
    A few years ago a man took an Ebel watch in to a store to have the dial exchanged. This watch was just a few weeks old. The detent was broken getting the movement out and the watch was brought to me for repairs. I called Ebel to order the $10.00 detent and they told me they would not sell it, that the watch had to go the the authorized repair center. I sent the watch in for the detent only and received a bill for $270.00.
    They charged for an overhaul, new crown and gaskets, plus the detent. That was their customary practice. No minor repairs.
    I come across this every day when people bring watches in to me for repairs. I have to tell many of them to send to factory when I have the expertise and tools to accomplish the same repairs for less money.
    Ken

5. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Group,

On the subject of parts availibility, does anyone have any experience with the genericc replacement crowns and case tubes for Rolex watches? The ones I have run into are such junk that I wouldn't even contemplate using them. I feel that a generic replacement should be close enough to the OE part that the case should NOT require alteration. Who supplies the best generic replacement Rolex-type crowns and case tubes?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------