• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Clock Help x

BCR

May 3, 2020
Country
I currently have a post under "Your Newest Acquisition" titled "What on Earth?" At first, simply meant to share a rather horribly treated old simple kitchen clock and what happened out in my customers grandpa's moonshine garage...apparently after grandpa had a few too many snorts of the "shine". Well, after getting some more info from my 75 year old customer, he explained to me that he remembers this old clock from when he was a young boy and how he loved the clock and the tick-tock and watching his grandfather wind it and the sound of the hour and half hour strike. He said he asked his grandpa if someday maybe he could have the clock. So years went by and over time the clock was forgotten and lost in the shuffle. Recently, when his elderly mother became ill, he was in her home helping out, and stumbled on the old clock, hidden away under years of piling up boxes and stuff and stuff and boxes, but then "there it was" buried under a heap of other saved things... and he was suddenly overcome with those 65 year old memories, but shocked to now see the condition of what once was a cherished item, no matter how simple. He has asked me if there is any way to try to somehow find another old clock like this one, and use at least some of the original parts to bring a clock together to take the place of the one still fresh in his memory. I explained that the real value of the clock would be no where near what the cost to do this would probably end up being, but the heart wants what the heart wants. So, I am reaching out to see if anybody out there might have and old Seth Thomas Kitchen Clock duplicate or very closely resembling the clock that I could buy in order to do this request for a very sentimental customer..I don't think an exact match is all that important, just so the final clock is very similar to his grandpa's . You can go look at my post on Newest Acquisition titled "What on Earth?" and read the story and see the pictures, but I'll go ahead and move the pictures to here as well. Basket cases welcome but prefer complete with movement, dial, case parts, etc. Thanks in advance...I realize this might not happen, but sometimes a customer's story makes you do things you otherwise would not consider. By the way, Yes, I have looked on ebay and etsy, and it seems like everything, no matter how messed up or how simple or even unimportant.... is now considered rare and valuable to those sellers, making a project like this prohibitive due to overpricing. Here come the pictures

IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3133.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3137.JPG IMG_3138.JPG IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3142.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3145.JPG

Last edited:

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I'm by no means an authority on this but I think you have at least three clocks assambled into one here. To me it looks like you have the case from a parlor clock, the movement is from a later mantle clock, and the top from a kitchen clock. It would be an interesting detective job for a person with a library of Tran Du Ly's books and catalogs to figure out. I'd have more questions about it but unfortunately I don't have the references.

Good luck!
Eric

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
Sorry - I got a bit lost in the narrative. You are asking, " ...to see if anybody out there might have and old Seth Thomas Kitchen Clock duplicate or very closely resembling the clock that I could buy in order to do this request for a very sentimental customer. " Is that the bottom line question or is there something in addition to this? Have you checked Merritts? They sell at reasonable prices and can even look for you if you have a particular clock in mind....

BCR

May 3, 2020
Country
Im not sure how to close a post, but this customer has decided not to pursue this issue any further. Thanks to those who reached out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Mall
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-