WWI wristwatches

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Sep 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    In today's Inquirer on the [style] pages, I came across an article on wristwatches of WWI…it peaked my interest enough to read the piece and look at what was produced in recent times by the gentlemen pictured in this article.

The one wristwatch I have has a red numeral 12 and the wrist band is probably made from kid skin and is a Waltham; the serial numbers can be from 1925, in a gold filled case. I do have some nickel cases that I suppose were used in those years. The back of the cover is hinged to the case; and, in 000 size and 0 size.

In those years these cases were made with wire lugs. I wonder if these gentlemen are members of Chapter 1 and the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

wrist watches = 2.jpg wrist watches = 3.jpg wrist watches =1.jpg

2. Tyler K

Tyler K Registered User
    Student Member NAWCC

Oct 23, 2014
    Male
    North Canton, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have always thought that Trench watches were neat! I don't have a running one, only a Hampden 400 that has a cracked crystal, missing crown, missing lug, and a missing roller jewel. I also have a Hampden 401 Trench watch but it looks like a car ran it over. Maybe one day I'll find one at a flea market that I can get and fix for cheap!

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    TYLER;

I thinK i may have a Hampden 400 someplace, but it is a scarce valuable watch and they do not sell cheap.

It could need a cleaning.

Dan

4. Tyler K

Tyler K Registered User
    Student Member NAWCC

Oct 23, 2014
    Male
    North Canton, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see a lot of 400's on Ebay in a wrist watch but I do see some Molly Stark wrist watches that sell. They go from $20-$1,300, depending on the seller. I don't think they sell over $300. Finding the 400 or even the Diadem in a wrist watch is not often, especially at a price that you can comfortably pay. I have 2 drawers full of Hampden movements and parts (Dueber Hampden's are my favorite). The only thing that I would need is the crown for the 400. I have found them extremely hard to come by. I have never seen the Hampden 401 in anything ever so it is a shame that the watch has all bent plates. Maybe someday I'll be able to fix it.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    For those that do not know it tdlk is young man 15 years of age. A good age to start into a long life of horology.

I hope this young teenager has the success I have had over my 51 years as a member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. We older guys do need the younger blood to fill the gaps when our lives are spent.

6. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    I admire the fact that this person is creating items that people want.

I have no problem that he is replicating something that was done in the past. However I wonder if there are others who will frown on this practice as he is modifying watches from their original configuration.

Similar to the Steampunk movement and how some are taking watch parts to make jewelry. A lot of people frown on this practice but I think it helps our hobby.