WW83 Bearings and clean up/paint job

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by measuretwice, Dec 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. measuretwice

measuretwice Registered User

Jul 28, 2019
    Male
    Toronto
    Country Flag:
    I'm fairly new here, and come to watch clocks as a bit of a newb, but with a fairly in depth machining background. An admitted toolaholic, watches and clocks are another reason to acquire more tools. I've got a bunch watchmakers/instruments lathes and just recently added this Boley & Leinen WW83. It came up for sale on the other side of the country, but a daughter was living locally and dutifully picked it up lugged it to a UPS store. I didn't realize how heavy it was when I asked the favour - still owe her for that! It cleaned up nicely and I thought the good members here would like to see some photos.

The lathe was really well accessorized, 2 slide rests, vertical slide with milling and dividing attachment and the, I imagine, rarish threading attachment with all the gears. It needed a lot of cleaning and a paint job. I've a new respect for artists, its bloody difficult to get a colour how you want from mixing. Everything was disassembled, masked and painting was with an airbrush.

The spindle bearings seemed dicey and the OEM's on these are deep groove but its a nice upgrade to install super precision angular contact bearings. I splurged for matched ABEC 7 SKF's and made ground bearing spacers. The bearings on the motor and jack shaft were also replaced. Everything seemed in great shape. The last photo is cutting a 40TPI thread.

The motor and speed control are less than desirable on this lathe imo so I'm just using the motor as a counter shaft (brushes removed). Powered is from a Consew servo motor which is nice - it senses the speed and puts more current into the motor to maintain the speed under load. It also gives very low speeds which are advantageous for threading. The only complaint is controls....reversing is a pita (needed for threading). I hacked the control so I can switch between foot and rheostat controls, but still haven't figured out an easy way to reverse things.

0svdTkn.jpg

turning a spacer on a bigger lathe and checking the spacer's fit in the headstock bore

iBYYMT0.jpg

PETTHNu.jpg

VWxPcr6.jpg

smimKTX.jpg

ItiPfDT.jpg

1kxOnDj.jpg

D.th.munroe and DeweyC like this.
  2. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Slurp slurp drool.....
    Johnny

measuretwice likes this.
  3. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Fantastic work!

measuretwice likes this.
  4. measuretwice

measuretwice Registered User

Jul 28, 2019
    Male
    Toronto
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Gents, it was great find and I feel fortunate to be its current custodian

5. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Geochemist (Consultant)
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    Having all that in one, presumably original, set with matching numbers, I suppose, is extremely rare. Good find ! I would be curious to know, how you had to pay for it.

My jealousy is somewhat tempered by the fact that I own a similar set by their erstwhile competitors Lorch, Schmidt & Co. ...

6. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    And some more drooling. But seriously, that is a fantastic piece.

Sharukh.