WW1 era 6s Elgin

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Rick Hufnagel, Jul 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a neat watch that I've been after since I first started collecting a few years ago.

It looked like a mess in the auction, and it was. Missing crown and stem, movement battered... But I took a gamble. In good condition, these usually sell for quite a bit, which is why I didn't have one. Plus, I'm partial to bringing things back to life anyways... So it fit the bill perfectly.

The movement was shot. 7 jewel nickel movement had torn up pivots, broken jewels, ECT... Just way to many things for myself to deal with. I had a hard time with this decision, but purchased a movement, exactly the same in every aspect. Same grade, damaskeen, engraving, dial... Identical... just a little lower of a serial number.

New alloy mainspring and a good clean and oil and the new movement is keeping very good time.

IMG_20200708_213613248.jpg

This crown/stem/sleeve combo took me an entire evening to pull together from boxes of assortments. It works well. Not sure if the crown is accurate but it looks good in my opinion.

New strap from www.vintagewatchstraps.com David Boettcher is an NAWCC member and makes the best period correct straps for these kinds of watches. Super helpful and knowledgeable collector.

IMG_20200708_214033815.jpg

The Philadelphia silverode case has heavy duty lugs that take a 16mm strap. Installed NOS crystal, cleaned it up and gave a little shine. Didn't buff it,so it still has it's marks from age and use.

IMG_20200708_213859220.jpg IMG_20200708_213749533.jpg

It was a fun project, and although it's not original, I love it and it will get a ton of use from me.

IMG_20200708_214228915.jpg

I know some of these have luminous dials and shrapnel guards... I'm sure they rightfully bring a huge premium. This one is just your basic watch.

Dave T, pmwas, Tomxhar and 4 others like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Really nice work

Rob

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great job, it looks awesome.
    I really do like military watches and have a few in my collection.

4. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice!

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You have done an excellent job. It is a very nice watch and I wish it were mine! And I'm glad you're going to give it 'a ton of use' - after all, that's what it's for.

JTD

Kevin W. and Rick Hufnagel like this.
  6. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice job of cleaning it up! Enjoy wearing it...:D