Mechanical WW WW stem question

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
I have this elderly Elgin wrist watch in and I am stumped as to how to fit it with a stem and crown.

The movement is like a small pocket watch, without a method of retaining the stem in the movement, but the sleeve area where the stem would be inserted is not threaded.

Any help would be appreciated.

Elgin stem.JPG

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I think you need to open the watch and show a picture from the inside.
(I would expect a stem release screw being visable once the back comes off......)

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Looks to me like your missing the stem and sleeve set up, but without a movement photo it's hard to tell.

Many times these cases used a sleeve pushed on from the inside of the case instead of a threaded one. I'll take pictures after work if still needed.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Just from my experience, the Elgin sizes 0, 3/0, 5/0, and some 10/0 used a setup like the pocket watches, stem and sleeve, negative set.

4/0, 6/0, 8/0 use a stem like a conventional wristwatch today, positive set, where it's held into place inside the movement.

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
Looks to me like your missing the stem and sleeve set up, but without a movement photo it's hard to tell.

Many times these cases used a sleeve pushed on from the inside of the case instead of a threaded one. I'll take pictures after work if still needed.
A picture would be great, thanks Rick.

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
here you go. stem and sleeve installed and removed.

View attachment 541044 View attachment 541045 View attachment 541046
I wanted to let you know I have finished the work on this watch and want to thank you again, Rick, for the excellent photos as they were key to me figuring what parts were needed to get this old gal back together. In a little bottle of otherwise unnoticed parts, I found just the right stem and with a little modification, fit it to the "backward" sleeve, with a crown that was just right. Best, Dan

Elderly Elgin.JPG

Reactions: viclip and musicguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meum
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-