WW Lathe on Borel Mount

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by HUGO2, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HUGO2

HUGO2 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Greetings Everyone! I'm new to Community here, so bear with me if I seem to know little and ask much.

I'm "teaching myself" antique watch repair, if such a thing is possible. I'm getting better at it, enough so that I recently decided to purchase a watchmaker's lathe online.

After browsing around for a year or so, collecting data, reading De Carle and others, and talking to owners, I have purchased a WW watchmaker's lathe on eBay, that seems to be in very nice condition for its age. The S.N. is 7897, and it has cleaned up really well, and appears to be ready for a reboot to use.

The lathe came with a nut and threaded rod meant to be passed up through the watchmaker's bench, lathe shoe, and finally into the bed.

I have opted to mount the lathe and motor on a Borel mount purchased through Ofrei.com, which has arrived with mounting hardware which does not work. The bolts are not the correct thread size for the bed.

My initial assessment was that the bed required a 5/16" X 24 TPI bolt. This assessment has been subsequently proven to be wrong, as has the next best metric approximation. Yikes.

Setting the original threaded hardware against my calipers, and counting thread to thread, I find the required TPI for this bed to be closer the 26 TPI, a nonstandard size in today's hardware stores, certainly.

I need help here.

The 7897 SN seems to indicate a pre- 1900 model (I don't know this definitively), so am wondering whether another thread size was available/common at that time?

I'd like to find a suitable bolt to fit this bed, but if I cannot, I'd rather drill a hole in my bench that retap the bed.

Any advice from the experts in the Community is much appreciated!
    Kind Regards,
    Hugo2

2. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    26 TPI is 0.98 mm pitch and that's mighty close to 1mm. Just saying.

Sharukh

3. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Hugo2
    If you have a piece of threaded rod that fits the Lathe, why not just cut it off short enough to mount the lathe and used the nut for mounting ?

Jerry Kieffer

4. HUGO2

HUGO2 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for this suggestion, I'll follow up on it as this could be a possible solution!

5. HUGO2

HUGO2 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, terrific suggestion. Two reasons I have not done this: first, the nut is actually a handle- style nut, similar to a faucet handle, I presume for easy manipulation under the watchmaker's bench, and a such will not fit beneath the mount. Secondly, I think the rod and handle are possibly original pieces with the lathe and foot, and I don't want to cut the rod short and not have a suitable piece should I change my work arrangement in the future and wish to mount the lathe to a bench. Having said this, I'm not ruling your solution out completely. I may end up deciding to do this if I cannot come up with a correct size bolt to do the trick. Thank you, for posting your suggestion, I'll keep it on the table...or bench, as the case may be ;-).

6. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Hugo2
    Based on your comments, I suspect what you have is a 8mm x 1.0 thread. As such, both 8mm x 1.0 threaded rod and nuts are available thru Fastenal .
    Fastenal – Industrial Supplies, OEM Fasteners, Safety Products & More

However if this were mine I would simply rethread both the lathe bed and nut to 5/16 x 24 and simplify my life. It would have absolutely no effect on function or value of the lathe.

Jerry Kieffer

7. HUGO2

HUGO2 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jerry. I'll try for the new thread first, and if it doesn't work out, I'll follow your second suggestion and rethread the bed. Appreciate your input on this; very helpful.