WW Lathe Headstock issues

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by NewBernWatchmaker, Jun 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NewBernWatchmaker

NewBernWatchmaker Registered User

Jun 1, 2018
    Male
    New Bern, NC
    Country Flag:
    I just got my first watchmakers lathe and cleaned it up a bit but I am wondering how to disassemble the headstock or at least remove the collet and tool. Everything is a little stuck from who knows how long of being together. It is unfortunately a rather uncommon make - Reese from Johnstown PA. I managed to get the locknut on the back undone (anyone know if it was always split or someone did this before to get it off?) but I am still not sure the next step to remove the collet.

Headstock.jpg

2. NewBernWatchmaker

Jun 1, 2018
    Male
    New Bern, NC
    Country Flag:
    #2 NewBernWatchmaker, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Update - I got the tool out of the collet so it is now just a collet stuck in place. They just screw in right (Left to loosen?)?

Update Again - Ah the headstock wheel just spins off the collet, very clever. That was easy enough... So how does the spindle come out?

3. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I have had a lathe where the wheel is split by its design. It is a way of locking the nut in place.

To remove the spindle on my lathes there are some screws holding the coned center part in place. (Look in the grooves and around the entire wheel. )There might also be a ring with some screws under the brass screw-on piece to the left. When the screws are loosened my spindle can be pulled towards the right.

4. Jack_W

Jack_W Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Geologist
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd suggest a copy of Archie Perkin's "Watch Makers Lathe and how to use it". There is a section on the care (disassembly and reassembly) of the lathe head. Perkin's book is much better in this regard than DeCarle's Lathe book.

Join the NAWCC and borrow Perkin's book from the library (dues plus $7) or buy it from the AWCI for $100. If you are going to own a lathe, you're going to want more than whats on the internet.

5. NewBernWatchmaker

Jun 1, 2018
    Male
    New Bern, NC
    Country Flag:
    That one is definitely on my list. All in good time =)