Writer needs help

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by cynmoe, Jan 10, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cynmoe

cynmoe New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Hello,

I admit that I am not a clock aficionado, but I am working on a novel and I need to know what the interior of a smaller clock tower looks like. I am thinking of a smaller tower, one that might exist at the courthouse of a medium-sized city. I am primarily in need of photos, but a description would also be useful.

Thank you for any help or direction you can offer!

cynmoe

2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello and welcome to the NAWCC message board.

Below are photos of a clock tower that is in a mid-size town a few miles from me.

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

3. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many ST and Howard tower clocks are set up in a "box." The box is an enclosure large enough to house the clock and allow an average size person to wind and reach all parts for maintenance, not necessarily in comfort. In days gone by, there were often in much larger spaces, but not always enclosed. Later, I can post a photo of one clock with a fancy box, that is one with windows.

4. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    as promised, clocks in boxes with windows.Both of these clocks are in locations where the space outside the walls of the box may vary from 6' to say 10' to the outside walls. But, there is not an overabundance of room either. If you would like to see the outside of the structures, let me know.

Attached Files:

5. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    We writers should help each other!

The building in the picture is the Bluecoat Chambers in Liverpool. I had my first Liverpool clock studio in the rear courtyard. A QA building of some merrit. On google.

I repaired the clock shown in the pediment. It is a one hand clock, though the movement was Victorian or later.

Access was along a board walk in the attic, over the first floor concert room, and the clock stood on a stand in the attic space of the pediment.

Attached Files:

6. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Here's a cut away view from an old Seth Thomas tower clock catalog.
    -Cort

Attached Files:

7. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Evidently the poster didn't need help:) since there's no reply to any of our postings.

Best,

Richard T

8. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Exactly, Richard! I really hate it, when you got to the trouble of answering a post, spending time researching, and you get no thanks, or even the remotest reply. Some regulars are also guilty of this, not just the odd newcomer!

9. Grant Perry

Grant Perry Registered User

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is unfortunate that the original poster didn't return for follow-up. It is a bit of a waste of time, but I guess we need to expect it to happen once in awhile. Thank you to everone who took the time to contribute.....Who knows, the writer may be back yet. Maybe he/she hit a writer's block:D
    g

10. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Even though the original poster has yet to respond, the information and images offered are of interest to many other users passing through here.
    Knowledge shared is knowledge shared, it remains here to stimulate others who are actively interested, and to maybe strike a spark in someone just passing through.

Keep up the good work.

11. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray said:
    That says it in a nutshell and is what this venue is all about. Thanks from the person asking for info is always welcome, but there shouldn't be any sour grapes if not received. I have learned something more about tower clocks from the info posted, thanks to those who took the time to do so.

12. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [QUOTE= Thanks from the person asking for info is always welcome, but there shouldn't be any sour grapes if not received.[/QUOTE]

No sour grapes intended. I suppose sometimes we just want to know whether our information has been helpful or not. Thanks(everyone) for all the comments.

Best,

Richard T.

13. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Here! Here!