Wrist watch AND pocket watch?

Surf Monkey

Jan 6, 2010
The City of Roses
Country
Region
Is it weird to wear both a wrist watch and a pocket watch? Because that's generally what I do...

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Why?

51Cards

Nov 1, 2009
Country
Region
I guess you have two shots at knowing the right time :) Of course if they don't match you don't know which one went off... might want to add a third to break the tie ;)

As for odd... If you enjoy both and collect them I don't see why it's that odd. A wrist watch is still going to be the most convenient but at a Pocket Watch collector there is something nice about having one in your pocket at times.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I do this sometimes.I like to wear both as i have a favourite pocket and wrist watch.
And the added benefit if one watch should stop i can still tell what time it is with the other watch.:)

Robert Smothers

Jul 11, 2003
When I dress for work I wear a Seiko Sports watch, and carry a 21j model 9 Bunn Special that I just had serviced. The Bunn Special is keeping time to 20 seconds(slow) a week, while the Seiko is a little over a minute fast per week. On my drive to work I have a car clock that is always wrong because I do not know how to set it. That's ok because I brought my cell phone which is generally 7 or 8 minutes off time. Until I arrive at work I just count on the radio for the time and they are usally right on time. As I exit my car I refer to my Seiko if I don't have enough time to check my Bunn.

Last edited:

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Sometimes.

When I have a new or recently serviced pocket watch, I like give it a "real world" test by servicing it.

Until it's had a chance to prove itself, though, I tend to be a bit distrusting and also wear a wristwatch so that I have something redundant.

RRPocketWatch

Dec 23, 2009
Country
My Walthams have proven themselves to me. They keep time better than I'd ever expected. I made nice pocket watch chains out of heavy Figaro and Box neck chains. I have 2 Citizens (a Promaster, and a Calibre, and a bunch of Fossils & a Swiss Army for work. I hardly wear my Breitling which I aquired for a really great price from a man trying to save himself from financial disaster, and may sell it to put an extra boost of funds toward pocket watches. Though I never wore both at one time the thought HAS crossed my mind.;) Just for you guys I will!

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
" A man with ONE watch can know the time, a man with TWO can never be sure... :=:Party::D

Surf Monkey

Jan 6, 2010
The City of Roses
Country
Region
" A man with ONE watch can know the time, a man with TWO can never be sure... :=:Party::D
Except that, as others have pointed out, we're all saturated with clocks everywhere we look. I have one on my cell phone, one in my car, one on my computer, one on my wrist, one on my pocket, one on my bicycle odometer, one on my DVR, one on my microwave... the list goes on and on.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have a difficult time calling those things on a vcr, stove, cell phone a clock.
To me they are not clocks, just instruments that tell time.
To me a clock needs a tick tock sound.:):)

Surf Monkey

Jan 6, 2010
The City of Roses
Country
Region
I have a difficult time calling those things on a vcr, stove, cell phone a clock.
Yes, I agree with that assertion. However, the distinction is far from clear in the average person's mind. I submit that the average individual considers anything that shows the current time to be a clock, no matter what mechanism sits behind the display.

51Cards

Nov 1, 2009
Country
Region
I would consider them clocks. Quartz, Solar, or Cesium Atomic... all clocks. I just have an affinity for the Mechanical ones :)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I need to hear tick tock or tick tick, not a clock unless mechanical, at least to me.:D

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Glad i am not the exception here Doug.:)

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Strictly speaking, a clock sounds the time, a timepiece doesn't chime.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I usually wear one of each, wrist and pocket.

My wrist watches are very good and usually more reliable than my pocket watches. I just like wearing a pocket watch and by wearing it I get an idea of how well it runs. I like to collect data on the pocket watch rates in wear.

For my few dress up occasions I may wear a dress watch,on my wrist, in my pocket or both.

I have a cell phone but I don't carry it all the time and a lot of the time I carry it turned off.

Usually my wrst watch is a recently serviced fairly new one and my pocket watches are between 50 and 150 years old. Sometimes when I wear an old, not recently serviced, wrist watch I'll be sure my pocket watch has a good track record of timekeeping.

When I travel I'll set the wrist watch to local time and keep a pocket watch on home time.

I just like having them but I also enjoy the occasions when someone askes why I do this and it sets up an opening talk about our hobby/passion.

Surf Monkey

Jan 6, 2010
The City of Roses
Country
Region
That closely reflects my experience. I usually wear a reasonably contemporary Seiko automatic on my wrist and a vintage or antique pocket watch in my pocket. Some of it is force of habit. I don't really feel dressed without my wrist watch on, so I wear it and bring a pocket watch along as well.

Tom Huber

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2000
Indiana PA
Country
Region
When I retired over 5 years ago, I discovered that I had difficulty remembering what day of the week it was and what the date was. Sounds funny, but when you have no point of reference with a weekend in the middle, it can happen. My cell phone is my source for this. I don't use my cell phone as a clock, but as a calendar.

Tom

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Never heard those definitions before Kent, something new to me.I would consider a wrist watch a time piece.:)

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
No.......

Properly, a clock chimes the time. But that doesn't mean that all devices that chime the time are clocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelly H
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller