• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

WOW! an ETA 2451 with 41 jewels! Does anybody else have examples of why we're cynical?

Martin G

Jan 10, 2022
Country
Hello all,

This ETA 2451 came in a box of estate stuff. It made me laugh.

A LOT!

See the claim of 41 jewels on the face. Well, they didn't lie, exactly, because they are indeed there...
What I would like to understand is the purpose of such an arrangement, apart from the fuzzy feeling inside the 4" of gooey stuff between the ears of the person who who bought it in the first place.

Granted, the ratchet pivots on the reverse winding gears might, possibly, maybe, almost, perhaps, in an exotic world, benefit from the reduced friction of jewelled bearings. But Wow! Did somebody need to blow out a train load of shiny little red rocks? And the other 16 jewels, sitting pretty in their own little orbit with nothing to do; What might they be for?

Coincidentally, I picked up a nearly identical watch at a flea market yesterday with the proud boast of 31 jewels in an ETA 2452...

Does anybody else have examples of outrageous marketing hype?

Martin

IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4639.JPG IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4636.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Not sure about the Americans:cool: probably made for the German market that loves
precision tools. ;) :) ;)

Rob

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I suspect that some new machine or process had suddenly made jewels so much less expensive to manufacture and thus they could be inserted with gay abandon.
I've seen the Felsa with the jewelled barrel lid. There is a small possibility that this could have reduced friction but higly unlikely to have been of use at all. I've also seen liberal use of endstones to purportedly take some friction out of the date ring action.

Reactions: Martin G

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The most egregious I remember are the loose round jewels in a ball race for the autowinder. i am pretty sure I have seen that marked 100 jewels.

diveboy

NAWCC Member
May 25, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
elgin.watch
Country
all the rage in the late 60s and stopped in the early 70s.

Waltham (Swiss by then) came out of the 100 jewel count in 1968. There was a compliant lodged by the AWCI about the fact that only 17 of the 100 jewels served a purpose in 1971ish.

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
The 100 waltham has most of the Ersatz jewels arrayed around the winding weight and theoretically when the hub wears enough for the rotor to scrape, they might, just might touch something.
The beautiful Seiko automatic alarm has models in 17 and 28J I never thought that I'd ever see this but the extra jewels are just sitting there on some plate doing nothing. Their wonderful 5106 33J automatic has 100% usage jewels. Not a marketing angle, functioning jewels.

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
I like the jewelled reversers in the OP’s post. Lovely.

Some of the jewels in the reversers are functional, some not.
In Vostok 2416B steel rollers were replaced by ruby rollers to improve reliability. And thus 2416B is a true 31 jewel movement.

85A85542-64CD-48D5-8F75-ECD4EA3046FE.jpeg

The ruby rollers are in the slots of the brass gear of the reverser, no better picture at hand, sorry.

I once had a ladies Chaika automatic watch with ruby balls in the ball bearing (!), but being a moron I sold it for next to nothing and can’t find another one :(

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I was watching a few of this watchmakers videos today and came across this one. Thought of this thread and figured it would be fun to share.