Survey: Would you want to join a new Military Horology Chapter (SMH)

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Tom McIntyre, May 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Are you interested in a military horology chapter

Poll closed Jul 30, 2017.
  1. Yes I support an NAWCC chapter

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Yes but just on the Message Board

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. No there are enough on the Internet already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No I am not interested in military things

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    River Rat asked about our Military Chapter, the Society of Military Horologists which has been retired for about 12 years. There seems to be interest in reviving it.

If you would be interested in participating, please respond to this poll.

Note that the NAWCC rules require that all members of an NAWCC chapter be members of the NAWCC. Several chapters do have non-NAWCC members who participate, but do not hold offices or make decisions about the chapter.

Of course, any group on the Internet can use a mailing list or other mechanism to communicate with one another. There are many of those in both the Military interest area and others.

2. Kenneth Snowden

Kenneth Snowden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 21, 2010
    I would be interested in joining a military chapter.

3. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I think military pieces fall into one of my two categories of interest - private labels, and non-private labels ... so count me in! :)

4. Douglas Romero

Douglas Romero Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Country Flag:
    If it ends up message board ony, would there be any overlap on the message board with Chronometers and Military or am I off base? Wish now at my age I could be on base. Most of my Chronometers were made for military usage or constructed so could be used for military. Would the chapter be for military only and be a special fee to join and be virtual, i.e. Internet only?

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it were a chapter, the 25 members who got together to submit a charter would decide the rules they want to use (if the BOD approved them). If a forum here on the Message Board, I would expect it to offer a focus on military, but have a lot of overlap with chronometers and pocket watches with a bit in the clocks forums also.

Chapters have the advantage that they may potentially sponsor activities at regional meetings and even be co-sponsors of events if they have the available manpower.

We depend on the contributors to provide links to related material in other forums (and on other sites as well).