Wostok

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by David C. Strack, Feb 7, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Anyone hear of a Wostok watch? Quality made in the USSR. I got tired of replacing batteries, and dug through my collection for a wind-up. The Gruen 770R is being cleaned and adjusted as we speak (thank you all for your tips and links).
    I'm guessing 50's for this beauty. If you adjust the time backwards, the second hand jumps back 5 seconds and returns when your adjustment is through. It's accurate though.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave S.

[This message has been edited by David C. Strack (edited 02-09-2002).]

2. Anyone hear of a Wostok watch? Quality made in the USSR. I got tired of replacing batteries, and dug through my collection for a wind-up. The Gruen 770R is being cleaned and adjusted as we speak (thank you all for your tips and links).
    I'm guessing 50's for this beauty. If you adjust the time backwards, the second hand jumps back 5 seconds and returns when your adjustment is through. It's accurate though.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave S.

[This message has been edited by David C. Strack (edited 02-09-2002).]

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, Wostok is a well known Russian brand. I'm away from home (and my personal watch library) at the moment, so I can't give you many particulars. However, they have been cranking out watches for some time now and, as Eastern European manufacterers go, they are well respected. I have one in my collection and it's been very reliable. Not worth a great deal, of course, but I like it just the same. Interestingly, Russian watches have their own niche in the watch collecting world... but it's a small and thrifty niche.

4. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    I think what you are have is a Bostock.
    In cyrillic this would read "Vostock".
    They are either the No.1 or No.2 largest watch company in Russia, the other being Poljot. I have one of their 29j automatics and it is an interesting watch. Finish on the dial and case is first rate, the drawbacks are plated case, thin sheet metal back and really funky screwdown crown. They sell for $40US so are a great bargain for what they are.

5. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    I got the box out of the safe, in Russian
    it's "Boctok" and in English would be Vostok.
    I had a brain burp!

6. No it definitely says Wostok across the upper face and 18 Jewels on the lower face. At the bottom it says Made in USSR. I will endeavor to send in a photo tonight.

7. Thank you.
    An image of the watch is posted already (above your message). I believe the watch is late 50's, or early 60's. My father traded watches while he was in Labrador, I believe.

8. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From the book "Russian Wristwatches":

Wostok watches from the Tschistopol factory

This watch factory is located 800 km east of Moscow in the town of Tschistopol, in Tatarstan (a republic of the Russian Federation). Since 1942, WOSTOK ("East") has developed into the largest Russian trade name, and since 1961 it is the official watch for the Soviet military.

Wostok watches are made with manual and automatic winding. The best known calibers are 2209, 2409, 2414, 2416 and 2609. Most watches are in metal cases except for a few with synthetic cases. All watch cases are water resistant, the standard for which is 1 m depth and 30 minutes duration. All watches have shock resistant balances, are with or without date indication, have sweep seconds or subsidiary seconds at 9 o'clock. The average deviation at 20C (+/-5C) is from 20 to 40 seconds per day.

Much more information in the book, but I'm FAR too lazy to enter more. :) Hope this helps.

9. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    Boys, go to Russian Watches International
    or just Vostock on the search engine, You'll see what I mean. It ain't Wostock!

10. I have seen it spelled both ways. I have sent inquiries. Maybe it's a Soviet clone of sorts, I don't know. It is spelled with a W, but it doesn't have the Soviet star on it.

11. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, I don't need a web site, I have a book. Old tech rules. :biggrin:

- Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg Davis (edited 02-17-2002).]

12. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

"Boctoc"

Wasn't that where Forrest Gump got shot? http://www.nawcc.org/ubb/icons/icon6.gif

I'd bet those watches could lead to some very interesting conversations. I can just hear some jeweler saying to a customer: "Madam, you have the finest looking Buctoc I've ever seen." https://mb.nawcc.org/

That'd be a conversation to remember! :biggrin:

SM

13. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

The following is a (very) rough translation of the text on the Russian web site linked above:

---------------------------------------------

Autumn 1941- GO. Fascists. in the environs of Moscow. In all on the mouths word 3vakuaqi4.. The echelons with the armament, the ammunition, the foodstuffs move from the east to the West of the country. Conversely, from the West to the east, they convey equipment and personnel of hundreds and thousands of plants. Half of the country crosses for the Volga in order within the shortest periods at the new places to arrange product output for the front. Crosses 2-1 Moscow watch factory, which was then under the jurisdiction of the people's commissariat of mortar armament.

In contrast to the majority of other plants, whose life was constructed quietly, according to the plan/layout, chistopol'skiy watch factory from the generation itself learned to surmount difficulty and to rely only on its own forces.

In November- December 1941- GO to Kazan arrived 150 railroad cars from more than 1000 tons of equipment and materials 2- GO MCHZ, also, about 700 workers and members of their families. There is no railway communication with Chistopol', from Kazan to Chistopol'. more than 100 kilometers and the crossing/passage through the Kama. Navigation is already closed, thin/fine ice does not make it possible to pass to trucks with the heavy equipment, maintaining/withstanding only horse supplies. More than three thousand supply were required in order to transport people and basic equipment component. The machine tools, which lay several winter months under the open sky, required almost complete sorting/partition. But despite not on what, already during April 42- GO plant began to give the first production for the front, and during May was completed assembly of equipment.

The created at the new place enterprise was called name 5-1 watch factory. It was placed in the buildings of two schools, pedagogical institute (ucitel6skogo institute, as it is registered in the documents), technical school and library.

Thus began history Vostoka., that became watch factory today largest in Russia.

Thus it was formed from the very beginning, that besides the civil/civilian hours the plant manufactured much different production for the servicemen. these are deep manometers, course recorders, different kind special hours and the mechanisms of attached motion. To all these instruments were presented the requirements much more rigid/harder than to the usual hours. And, to the honor of chistopol'tsev, they did not bring. Therefore it is no wonder that in 1965 as the supplier of wrist watch the ministry of defense selected precisely chistopol'skiy plant.

Hours are pocket, K -43 Kirovskie.. this is the first grajdanska4. production of plant. War goes on, and from the moment/torque of the installation of the first machine tools in 1942 plant gives production for the front. The production of hours begins only in 1943.

Wrist Kirovskie., only assembled not on 1- m MCHZ, but in Chistopol'.

It is interesting to trace, as the evolution/maneuver of hours from the pocket to the wrist passed. Here the same K -43, are only added ears on the housing. Focus attention: second hand is arranged/located in position 9 of hours.

Hours RCCh the hours of steel entirely narucnymi., perhaps that according to the size/dimension they are biggish. First experiments of putting flare mixtures.

The history of the application of the luminous elements on the hours deserves separate story. In our country, yes even in the entire world after some 60 years they underwent large changes. They appeared to order of servicemen, which it was necessary to see hours under any conditions, including in the darkness. The first flare mixtures were a constant action and they were done on the basis of phosphorus. But phosphorus is poisonous, yes even glow rather weak. And after a certain time they began to use the special radio-luminescent composition, which contains the isotopes of tritium. Already in the 80th they recollected, that tritium was radioactive. Were by this time developed the new safe paint- phosphors, which accumulate light/world, which are used and now.

Chistopol'skiy watch factory in the Soviet time was almost only in the country, where were let out the elements of formulation luminous in the darkness. Here were made pointers and dials both for itself and for many other hour and Instrument Making Plants.

MCHD, sea hours, are produced since 1946. these hours were intended for the installation on the submarines: hour hand accomplishes revolution not in 12 hours, as usual, but in the twenty-four hours. In the upper part of the dial the lever of the correction of the accuracy of clock rate is brought out.

Pobeda., mechanism K -26. Since 1946. they were gathered from the parts of Penza watch factory, and with 1949- GO. completely its own production. Pobeda. remained the basic model of chistopol'skogo plant for a period of several decades, after acquiring in this time enormous popularity in the country.

Up to 1969 the stamp, which stands on the Soviet hours, designated not plant- producer, but the utilized in the hours mechanism. But since all plants belonged to one master. to state, often technology, equipment and even finished parts and mechanisms were transferred from the plant to the plant. Accordingly, hours with the identical stamp let out different plants. Pobeda.. bright to volume an example. Hours with this stamp manufactured 1-1 the watch factory, and chistopol'skiy, them today is let out samarskiy OF WINTERS.

Automobile hours, ACPcCh -2 and ACH-ya. Almost immediately after war, in 1946, in THE USSR begins the production of new passenger automobile. Pobeda.. Automobile for that time was actually good even on the world measures, and its creation was large event for the country. Their mite into this contributed chistopol'tsy: specifically, their ACPcCh -2 decorated with themselves the panels of instruments Pobedy.. Contacts with auto-PROM proved to be prolonged: hours were here let out practically for all Soviet automobiles.

By the way, hours ACPcCh -2 had interesting construction/design. Not the fact that quartz mechanism yet they did not invent in those times, was not known even transistor. ACPcCh -2 were usual mechanical clocks, but tightened up a spring electric motor.

In 1950 the first stone of the new production complex of plant is laid. It appeared new equipment, new possibilities. 4s 1952 Pobedu. began to let out with the shockproof device/equipment and in the moistureproof housing. They appeared modification Pobedy.. hours Raduga. (1954), Kama. (1955), 4ntar6. (1954). Differences from Pobedy.. minimum. In one more modification the same K -26: Ca1ka.. is used by another mechanism, 2605, with the calendar.

Deck timepieces with the central second hand. Without the fundamental changes are let out since 1965 a present day.

The first hours under brand Vostok. are precision. In 1957 is begun the production of hours K -28 with the lateral second hand (caliber 2802), and then. with the central (caliber 2809). Specifically, these hours in 1968 obtained gold medal on the international exhibition in Leipzig. Accuracy of the clock rate of +10/-5 seconds in a 24 hour period, an average/mean variation in the daily variation. 4 seconds. In these hours the spiral of balance (hairspring) is prepared from the special alloy with the minimum temperature coefficient. Hours were produced in the water-proofed housing.

The part of the hours with mechanism 2809, which did not pass certification from the declared parameters, they entered sale bearing the trademark Volna..

In 1960 in Chistopol' they master the new mechanism of the caliber of 22 millimeters. The first hours with this mechanism bore brand Mir.. Specifically, 22-1 calibers will become then the basis of the model number of plant. In 1963 hours 2214 appeared (with the calendar).

Komandirskie. the first releases/issues, 1965. The mechanism of these hours, in contrast to usual 2214, had a device/equipment of the stop of balance during the extraction of crown and bore marking 2234. Housing of hours. water-proofed, numbers and pointers are covered with flare mixture. In the lower part of the dial the inscription is well visible: Zakaz MO Of the USSR. The first Komandirskie. they did not have the rotary disk of time.

The design of the mechanism 24- GO of the caliber, which stands in Komandirskix. now, is begun in 1966, and the first hours with this mechanism are released in 1971.

In 1968 on the base of mechanism K -22 are produced hours Amfibi4.. More durable housing, by glass- and rear cover allow sinking at the depth to 200 meters. The hours, depicted on the photograph, belonged to cosmonaut G. M. Grechko, and in 1975 they visited space aboard the ship Soyuz-17 and station Salyut-4. Amfibi4.. this is the first chistopol'skaya model with the rotary disk of time. From this point on, it is established/installed practically on all produced by plant hours.

In 1969 the watch factories at long last obtained their own names and trade marks. Since then entire/all production of chistopol'skogo plant is released under brand Vostok.. In the photograph: some of those, the first Vostokov. 1969 of release/issue.

In 1999 Vostok. it let out the limited party/batch (100 pieces) of gold hours. Housing and rear cover. from gold of 585 tests/samples, silver dial, sapphire by glass-, belt. from the skin of crocodile. To each hours are appended passport in the Russian and English languages, the mini- pamphlet with the history of plant, the personal rotation works manager with his signature.

Mechanism 2416, with the auto-rewinder, 31 stones. Parts are gilded, this shields them from the corrosion. Mechanism. individual assembling, above it worked the best masters of plant. On the whole each hours passed the almost three-month cycle of adjustment and tests.

Aleksandr Kuz'min

Material is kindly furnished by the editorial staff of the journal "hour business."

14. Rather lengthy historical piece. Thank you. FYI the German word for clock is Uhr, which is also "hour", so if you switch "clock " for "hour", the piece will make more sense. I'd rather tell someone something they already know than keep them in the dark due to an assumption. This particular Wostock of mine has kept time to the minute since early February (except of course for the few times I FORGOT to wind it - oops). I saw another Wostok inquiry in the watch section. Maybe it's a trend...
    Take care y'all. I'll be around...

15. Jarmo

Jarmo Guest

I can't say that I a real expert in translating cyrilic alphabets into latin alphabets but most of the times I've seen boctok (east) it is written vostok.

Vostok was also the name for a series of space rockets, most famous of which is the Vostok 1 rocket for the first man in space, Yuri (Juri) Gagarin (who actually wore a Poljot).

In Latin alphabets name Vostok can indeed be spelled in several ways. For me anything else except Vostok looks like a (slight) mis-spelling.

BR,

Jarmo

16. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch! Thanks for the picture, Alan.

17. Greg Crockett

Greg Crockett Registered User

Apr 13, 2001
    Great info in this discussion! Esp. the English to Russian history translation (many thanks Steve). I have some early Soviet watches and have been looking for more information about them for a long time.

A little more history might be of interest. If you could open the first three watches pictured in the history given on www.watch.ru/brand/vostok/model_history.shtml
    you would see movements which closely resemble Duber-Hampden 16 size open face pocket watch movements(they bought the tools around 1929). Inside some of these a date is stamped such as 3-40 for March 1940. I would agree with the Vostok cite that the first Soviet wristwatches were rather ?biggish?, having a 16 size watch on your wrist takes some getting used to! I have a 1941 dated aircraft clock as well. This clock also has the same 16 size Duber-Hampden type movement as used in the pocket watches and wrist watches of the time. One movement for everything must have made parts easier to deal with.

18. Greg Crockett

Greg Crockett Registered User

Apr 13, 2001
    I suggest the Wostok spelling was used for watches sold for German speaking customers for the reason that W has a V sound in German. For example, we spell Vienna with a V while German speaking people spell it with a W.