• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Worstminster chimes

scrumpy111

Sep 27, 2021
Country
A friend brought me a westminster that has one chime that just thunks. Took the chimes out and found that one was glued in. Heated up the rod and seperated tha piece. I guess the glue did not let the resonance through. Will braising at least give a tone.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Whatever you do to the old rod will require retuning all the other rods. It's much better to replace that broken rod and retune just the one replaced rod. Or better still, just replace all the rods with a new tuned set. Willie X

Reactions: Robert Gift and wow

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
You might as well get a complete set of rods. Trying to replace and re-tune the duff one will take forever and brazing (I assume that's what you mean) a broken one simply won't work.

Reactions: wow

scrumpy111

Sep 27, 2021
Country
Thanks. Clock is in a mediocre condition and I think its not worth the effort as he bought it for 20 francs at a boot sale.. But its nice to know how to go about it if the clock has any value.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
At that sort of price, it's not for scrap and is well worth getting it working properly then selling or keeping.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Instead of junking it;
If the chime bar has 5 rods and lifts 3 hammers for the strike? You could take out the the rod that is not involved in the Westminster chime, then use the broken one as a template for length and put that in.

scrumpy111

Sep 27, 2021
Country
Thats a good idea. Just looked at an English firm who supply parts and they are good value, just postage is a joke, but could wait until I have enough parts that I need to offset the postage, England are on strike seemingly six days up until Christmas. Been waiting for my 3D pieces now for three weeks.

Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Country
Region
...Took the chimes out and found that one was glued in. Heated up the rod and seperated tha piece. I guess the glue did not let the resonance through. Will braising at least give a tone.
If you can, try the braising and report howell it works!
If there are separate rods for the hour strike, could you remove a rod and use it for the Westminster Chime note?
Recently I cut a rod to make it sound a higher pitch. Then fine tuned it by filing thend of the rod.
1671006437147.png

scrumpy111

Sep 27, 2021
Country
I can dig the clock out of the basement and check the chime feature. Have little room in the flat to keep everything without the wife complaining. Will get back to you..

Reactions: Robert Gift

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry