Worst repair?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by rolandantrobus, Mar 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    What's the worst repair you've come across? I've just finished a Waltham P S Bartlett, I'd noticed it had a basic regulator fitted whereas it should have had a Church patented starwheel reg, someone had obviously changed the balance cock out at some time as the number underneath did not match the serial number of the watch. Well I had a spare gold starwheel cock, luckily with the same matching damaskeening, so proceeded to change it.
    Then I noticed the screw that holds the hairspring to the cock was the wrong one. It had been replaced with one of the screws from the balance wheel rim! Not only that but when I tried to unscrew it I found it had been glued in! Well it was very enjoyable to get it all sorted out in the end. Do you have any tales of horror?

2. ANDY YALE

ANDY YALE Registered User
    Donor

Jun 14, 2013
    Writer
    Jersey City, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think there is an existing thread called "Hall of Shame" or something similar which is chock full of horror stories. I mean blood and gore and splintered pallets.

3. Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo Registered User
    Donor

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not a professional repairer but know enough to do very basic work. The last Elgin I had, the roller jewel was missing and someone had wrapped a piece of wire around the balance staff and was using the end of the wire as the roller jewel.

4. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    These are horror stories today for collector's, but we must remember that these were items used daily for a person to know what time it was. In many cases, when a watch stopped and it was taken in for repair, the only thought in the owner's mind was getting it running and done as cheaply as possible. If changing a balance cock could be done cheaper, most of the time the watch owner would opt for that.

One must be realistic. How many cobbled repairs are done daily to keep an automobile on the road.

The same was done 100 years ago for watches.

I have seen many oddball repair jobs on watches--some ingenious, others horrific.

tom

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,

How about these two repeater star wheel jumpers?

And an ingenious way of securing a wobbly fusee click?

Regards,

Graham

Attached Files:

6. stuperdude

stuperdude Registered User

Jul 12, 2016
    Country Flag:
    My favorite is a piece of wire looped around a case screw at one end and keeping tension on the click with the other. I've seen it a few times in beat up pocket watches.