Worn hand arbor repair

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by eculuke, Jun 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    B83F75D8-C215-4561-83CF-57FCF7FF71E9.jpeg 55712279-A9F6-4385-8C1F-96BE0F936922.jpeg i just purchased a really nice Leavenworth wooden works tall case movement. It runs like a champ but I can’t change the time because the minute hand arbor is too worn . I am attaching a picture. Is there an option to repair before replacing it?

2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Joseph Bautsch, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    First thing to do is determine what may have caused this in the first place. There is a tension spring that allows the minute hand to turned to set the time. Is it too tight causing the wear on the arbor. Most of these minute hand arbors have a metal tip to prevent this from happening. Could the wood tip here be a repair where the metal tip was replaced with wood? What does the rest of the arbor look like? I see brass at the base of the wood tip. The brass tip may have broken off, or was damaged at some point and was replaced with this wood tip. To repair I would make a metal tip on the lathe as a replacement. If the rest of the arbor is wood you can cut the arbor off further down, reduce the diameter, and sleve the new tip over the reduced part of the arbor. You can use a cross pin through the metal and wood to hold it in place. Repairing it with wood will most likely result in the problem returning at a latter date.

3. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    Can anybody recomend somebody I can ship this to for the repair? I am in NC but there really isnt anybody locally who can do this kind of work.

4. Kenneth Brockman

Kenneth Brockman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Welcome to the Frontpage This Guy is one of the Best in the Country... For Repairs or Parts. Sometimes he's backed up several month's of work. Easy to talk to on the phone when you can get a hold of him...

5. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed. Don Bruno is the one I would recommend as well. Ken was faster getting this response to you.

6. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have maybe 100+ wooden tall case movements, and I can't say that I've ever seen a brass minute arbor tip that I thought might be original. The usual repair is to replace the tip of the minute arbor, and from then on advance the time by pulling the bonnet forward and moving the hands with a finger on the easily accessible intermediate wheel. Between the inherent weakness of the wooden minute hand arbor square, and the weakness and break-proneness of original pewter minute hands, this is always the best approach.