World's first Time Free territory - no need for a watch or a clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by THTanner, Jun 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Carl in France

Carl in France Registered User

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Hautes Pyrénées, sometimes Wales.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They can do what they wish but people still need time to manage life, i suspect they are really doing this to put the place on the map for tourism to some degree.

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I imagine kids will love it, they'll never be late for school again.

3. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    I see it as both a way to reaffirm their identity within the gestalt of them and their environment and as something that sets them apart from other destinations. Interestingly enough, there are islands here in Micronesia where folks live by the patterns of the seas and weather, paying little attention to conventional timekeeping.

THTanner likes this.
  4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not the best place for a watch or clock collector
    Are there any places in the US or Canada on the same latitude with a similar amount of daylight in Summer?

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 THTanner, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Alaska has some areas that are similar - as does northern Canada.

Even though residents of Barrow, the northernmost town in Alaska, won't see the sun for 67 days come winter, they enjoy the midnight sun all summer - over 80 days of uninterrupted daylight.

Where I grew up in the Amazon jungle on the border of Peru and Brazil, time was an interesting concept among some of the local tribes. One in particular had three "times" - today, the future, and the past. They really did not delineate the amount of time passing. They got up with the Sun and went to bed with the Sun and nothing else mattered much. Part of the issue with not keeping track of how far "past" or how far into the "future" was partly due to their concepts of life and death. Everyone who "died" stayed around in various forms of spirits, and to talk about them too specifically risked retribution. So the all of the people who ever lived, still existed together and dying was just a passage to a different form. If your "time" extends forever, keeping track of it does not seem too important.

tracerjack likes this.