American Workshop F101 Question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by BlueMaxx, Dec 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I hope this is the correct place to post this.
    I am trying (if it is not too late) to go to this workshop coming up the first of January in Florida.
    Been having trouble registering online so I will have to call first thing Monday. I fear it may either be full up or canceneled?
    Anyhoo....the class requirements say:

IMPORTANT: The student should note that only one type of clock movement can be used in this class. The clock movement that the student should bring is a time and strike open mainspring movement sometimes referred to as an American Kitchen Clock Movement. No other clock movement will be permitted in this class, so please concur with this request.

As a complete neophyte, I am not sure what to look for from the only place I know to find such a clock...
    (that unnamed online auction place).
    I have exhausted all local antique and clock shops....and only found a very old weight driven Welch "kitchen style" but do not believe that will fit the bill.

Can someone help me identify a specific clock to search out?

I am just to ignorant on the subject at this point to know which clocks fit this requirement.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The term kitchen clock is often applied to clocks made of oak on which the "carving" is steam pressed. However, the term is also applied to other types of clocks, as well. A movement like the one in the following thread should be fine.

Ingraham Clocks

In other words, a common movement made by many manufacturers, in similar style but with variations peculiar to them. Most of the major American manufacturers of the late 19th century made kitchen clocks. So, a movement from one of those would suffice. Check this thread for links to other threads about American manufacturers such as Waterbury, Seth Thomas, Gilbert, Sessions, Welch, to name just some. Each thread has examples of movements that would be satisfactory.

BlueMaxx likes this.
  3. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you,
    I believe the time and strike open mainspring movement is what was throwing me off.

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To help with the terminology (since we all start without the general lingo), Time and Strike with Open Mainspring Movement means:

Time - a time train (set of wheels (gears) and regulating mechanism to measure time)
    Strike - a train designed to audibly count the hours, usually on a gong or bell. Not to be confused with chimes that usually play a melody on the quarter hours.
    Open Mainspring - the power source, in this case a coiled spring that is not enclosed in a barrel (container)

Good luck with the class. I hope you learn a lot and enjoy it.

Tom

PatH and BlueMaxx like this.
  5. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh man, that clears so much up...I am reading and watching and learning as much as I can. However like any new skill or hobby it does not all come at once.

I already have a Seth Thomas mantle clock that would work then. It has a bell and a gong...but is relatively simple.

Now I just hope there is good news about the class itself.....hopefully I will be able to call and find out tomorrow.

I thank you so much.

6. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well rats...looks like the class is full.....:(

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry you missed out on that. There are many of us on here who have learned a great deal from this forum. It takes a while (in my case going on about 5 years), but I did my first disassembly, bushings and reassembly after only about a year. In fact, the first clock I purchased was a non working anniversary clock that needed a suspension spring. The lessons I learned on that was that the springs come in different sizes and how to set a clock in beat. I just bought my 100th clock and more that half were not running when purchased. With a little aptitude, the right attitude and some time on the workbench you can get pretty far on your own. I'm not dismissing the value of a class, but you can learn a lot before the next class rolls around.

Tom

PatH and BlueMaxx like this.
  8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In support of Tom's suggestion. When I started out I found a guy on ebay that had a bunch of clock movements in his barn. After a few emails he agreed to send me about 5 American and Asian movements with all the parts in tact if possible. I didn't want any cases since I don't collect them and they are too bulky to ship. Once I got them working then I would introduce my own faults like breaking a few teeth off wheels, snapping off a pivot, etc and practising the repair. It was a great learning tool and it didn't cost me much at all since they were all not working when he sold them.

I started out with Philip Balcomb's two books. Steve Conover's are good as well.

David

Kevin W. and BlueMaxx like this.
  9. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well some good news,
    Called NAWC and spoke to a very nice lady there who put me in touch with the class teacher/coordinator.
    He called me back and we had a great conversation and he agreed to let me in. Just a real nice fella.
    So, I guess things work out the way they're suppose to in spite of ourselves.

The second best thing is I get out of gloomy cold and gray southern Indiana and get to go to Florida for a few days!

To edit: I am on Balcomb's book right now and also Laurie Penman's also.

PatH likes this.
  10. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad that worked out. I'm curious to hear about the class when you have completed it.

Tom

BlueMaxx likes this.
  11. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And the third best thing is that you'll get to meet others who love clocks? So glad to hear you'll be able to attend. Are you also planning to attend the Regional?

BlueMaxx likes this.
  12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect the class will be at the regional. Those suitcase classes are usually well worth the money and time.

BlueMaxx likes this.
  13. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I probably will not be able to make the Lexington Ky. one being so close to coming back from Florida.
    HoweverI plan on making it to the Southern Ohio event in April, Lord willing and the creek don't rise...

PatH likes this.
  14. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like I may be back in time to go to Lexington for the Thoroughbred Regional...it is closer to me than I thought...

As we said in the Marines,
    What kind of bee don't fly?
    A newbie...

Thats me...
    I have no idea what to expect.

Anyone can give me a clue what it's like?
    Anyone from here going?
    Is there another place on the forum that I should be starting a thread about it?

Thanks,

Mike

15. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They should send you a list of requirements. That usually includes a movement that you will work on, and tools you will need. To get the most from the class, be sure you have everything they tell you to bring. I'm guessing they will want you to bring a simpler movement - like a time and strike mantel clock, or kitchen clock movement. Just do what they tell you, and all will go smoothly. You'll get one on one help as the class progresses. Ask about the movement you wanted to bring. That bell makes it a bit harder to assemble because the hammer for it is difficult to get in correctly. Enjoy!

BlueMaxx likes this.
  16. PatH

PatH Registered User

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never been to the Lexington Regional as it's a little far for a quick trip, so can't really offer any insight. However, I can say that I have met great people and learned more about clocks/watches at every Regional I've ever attended. Each one is different. You may be able to search the message board for past posts about this event, or start a new thread to find others who might be attending.

BlueMaxx likes this.
  17. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Which sub-group of the forum would be best to start that subject thread?

18. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Depends a bit what you want to talk about. Maybe 'Clock Repair' would be a suitable group?

JTD

BlueMaxx likes this.
  19. PatH

PatH Registered User

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you're asking about the Lexington Regional, perhaps this thread - NAWCC Events. Or you can search for Lexington Regional to see where other related questions/updates have been posted.

Pat

BlueMaxx likes this.
  20. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or the Clocks General forum might be a good spot.

21. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I think I will go that route....if it needs to be moved I am sure someone will.

Getting pretty excited, leaving tomorrow at O'dark thirty for the drive to Florida and the class.
    I will try and post a few things while I am there.
    If not, I will summarize when I get back home.
    The weather forecast says it is supposed to snow here at home about the time I am to head back, so I may just haft to play hooky at the beach a day or two..:rolleyes:

PatH likes this.
  22. BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Male
    Evansville, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just got back last night from the course...

It was great!

I wish I had teachers like Gary in college...he was awesome..and patient.

My fellow "classmates" were some of the nicest folks you would ever meet...I really enjoyed their company.

I couldn't have asked for more, it really has only gotten me more excited about horology.
    Also it has given me the confidence to commit to delving even deeper.

Still tuckered from the class and the drive back...but I learned so much....

Now this is how I feel....

93F29AB9-6047-44FE-86DF-5B2137CC5A8D.jpeg

23. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good for you! Money well spent, and a bit of the fear of repairing clocks removed.

BlueMaxx likes this.