Workbench mat

wdonovan

Aug 11, 2008
Bayville, NJ
Visit site
Anyone tried this? Old days I had a rubber rear car floor mat on my bench top where I did assembly and disassembly. It had shallow ridges in the top surface that kept things from rolling around , was gentle on the parts and had a ridge all around the edge so stuff just did not roll off. The time it saved me from crawling around the floor after flinging something out of a tweezer was immeasurable.

cazboy

Apr 27, 2006
Prescott Valley, Arizona
dougsclocks.hpage.com
Country
Region
That's interesting. I picked up a tip from the beginner's clock repair DVD from TickTockPro.com where the the guy recommends a pure white beach towel on the workbench. I think it's basically the same idea as your idea (which is a good one as long as it works). It makes little parts resist rolling and you can see the parts against the white.

...Doug

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
I use foam sheets which I buy for "pennies" each from Michaels.

They are soft, quite dirt resistant and fairly strong; come in white, black, green... and many other funky colours if you are so inclined. I have yet to rip one. Screws will not skate across the material and unless you drop a screw from very high, they do not bounce far.

Here's a white one I laid out on my workbench to give you an idea. I normally use it on my desk. It's 12 x 18". You can fashion various kinds of frames to drop over the edges. The frame will form a lip to keep stuff from wandering off the sheet.

Michael

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I like the white paper and foam sheets ideas. Something to that cant slide around and soft enogh so a screw cant bounce off on to the floor and go, god knows where:???::???::???::bang::bang:
I get so frutrated when that happens, ruins a good day.
Last weeki had it happen and looked everywhere and found it hours later in my sock feet when i stepped on it. :(
I used newspaper and that has to be the worst choice for watch repair work, maybe ok for clocks.

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region
I use heavy card stock stapled to a cork board (a small plastic framed bulletin board). I imagine pretty similar to the foam-core suggestion.

lkjjkl

Jul 23, 2008
Country
Region
I use 40"x70" bath sheets. They are thick 100% cotton, cover my whole bench, and clamp on tightly with four 2" C clamps. Screws do not bounce off them and when they get dirty you just toss them in the wash. If you want a more taught surface add more clamps. (quick-grip clamps work just as well) I prefer the white mats but they come in other colors.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANTHONY LEWIS
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool