Woodworks Movement ID Help Needed

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Dave D, Nov 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Can anyone tell me the maker and age of this movement? I don't have any more of the clock than this.
    Thanks in advance!
    Dave D

IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4082.JPG IMG_4083.JPG

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This type of movement was typically made in the 1830s. Follow this link: http://www.nawcc-index.net/Identification.php andthen click on "Terry Type Wood Movement Identification". This leads to an Excel spreadsheet that will let you identify your movement by specific characteristics. It also includes picture examples. Sometimes these old wood movements can't be positively identified but you should be able to narrow it down to one or two possibilities.

This thread might do better in the wooden works section.

RC

3. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lovely old thing, and it deserves to run. Can that crack be repaired? Maybe someone switched out that movement for an all-brass one.

M Kinsler

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have moved this to the Wood Movement forum.

5. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I bought a box of movements at the flea market and this was with it.

6. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Thank you. I should have done that in the first place.

7. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I think what you are calling a crack is the verge wire.

8. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or more specifically the shadow of the verge wire.

Were there any other wooden movements in that lot?

RC

9. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Um, yes. I guess those oak plates didn't crack, for whatever reason.

The aluminum bell housing (the connection between engine and transmission) on my 1964 Ford Econoline van was apparently cast in a cracked mold, and the first time I took it off I was horrified at the network of cracks thereupon. Then I looked again and found that they were ridges, and that the housing was perfectly sound. Then when I replaced the clutch a year or so ago I'd forgotten about the artificial cracks in the bell housing and panicked once again.

M Kinsler

10. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This example doesn't appear to be cracked but they sometimes do. Had one a while back that was split into two pieces right down the middle. There are several holes in a vertical row down the middle and stuff sometimes does happen. Good thing about wooden movements is that they can be glued back together.

RC

11. bikerclockguy

bikerclockguy Registered User
    Donor

Jul 22, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hey Dave, I can't help you, but yesterday I drove over to Sacramento and bought a spring winder, and the guy who had that is a wooden movement enthusiast, and might be of some help. He seemed to know his stuff pretty well, and had a couple of clocks he had done that ran, and he was telling me about making molds out of clay to use as a guide in making new wheels, all about how to select the right wood and make it look aged, and even how to take old labels that were in pieces and restore those. He's a former NAWCC member and likes to talk clocks, so I'm sure he'd be willing to share the info he has.

12. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice Boardman Wells movement 1830's my best guess. The best made woodworks movement, and a big improvement and much more reliable from early "Groaner" movement. Attached is a pic of a Boardman Wells movement like yours.

Chauncey Boardman was born in 1789. He is listed as working in Bristol in 1810 through 1850. He began making wood tall clock movements with Butler Dunbar until 1812 when he bought him out. He then made movements for other companies including Chauncey Jerome. In 1832 he formed a partnership with Joseph Wells. They operated four separate factories and produced in great quantity wood movements until 1837 and the introduction of rolled brass. In 1844 the firm split and each continued under their own name. Chauncey Boardman died in 1857.

boardmanwellsmovement-1361289571.jpg

13. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, I believe the movement fits the characteristics of a type 1.411 (Seymour, Williams & Porter or Seymour, Hall & Co.) or type 1.42 [Seymour, Hill (sic) & Co.], based on the Excel version of Snowden Taylor's identification scheme. Note that the Excel version lists Seymour, Hill & Co. for the type 1.42. Roberts & Taylor (Eli Terry and the Connecticut Shelf Clock, 2nd ed.) and Spittlers & Bailey (Clockmaker & Watchmakers of America, 2nd ed.) do not mention a "Hill", so I suspect that's a typo. It is not a Boardman & Wells. Among the features that differentiate a Seymour, etc. from a Boardman & Wells: strike levers centered with respect to the access hole on the former (not on the latter) and count wheel retainer at 12 o'clock on the former and 7 o'clock on the latter. Spittlers & Bailey list dates of 1831-1835 (Farmington, CT) for Seymour, Williams & Porter and 1835-1840 (Unionville/Farmington, CT) and 1840-1843 (St. Louis, MO) for Seymour, Hall & Co.

Mike