Woodwork Movement help

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by eculuke, Nov 22, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    Hey guys,
    Sorry to ask so many questions. After a lot of trial and error I did get the movement back together. I am having an issue getting it going. For some odd reason without a weight it seems to run and advance the escape wheel......but there is one problem...it seems to turn the wheel backwards in the wrong direction. I took two videos and posted them on youtube in hopes you guys could offer some suggestions. I have the ability to do slow-mo so for a short part of each video its in slo-mo so you can really get a good look. I thought at first it was out of beat but I have been unable to get it moving in the right direction. Any help of additional videos I can do.

Thanks

running , no weights, escapement turning clockwise

http://youtu.be/HfDpLSBtYvs

Not running, with weights, attempting to go counter clockwise

http://youtu.be/ql31Eoduu0o

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not a expert on wood movements. But did you do any bushing work, did you check for wear in the holes the pivots run in. I am thinking a lack of power is causing this. Hope others with more knowledge will see your posting.

3. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, the escape wheel is indeed going backwards. Have you installed the strike side great wheel and winding drum on the time side? I wouldn't think it would fit, but it would explain the reverse running.

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is confusing having the same thread here and also in clock repair and some answers here and some there. Perhaps the two can be merged into a single thread that is easier to follow?

RC

5. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    I wasnt getting many responses in wood works so I tried repair section since it falls in both

6. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Not a lot of action here, but this IS the place to look the for people that have the most experience with wooden clocks (not speaking of myself). I collect and work on both brass and wooden clocks but really like the wooden ones best, but there are a lot more brass clocks and people that are only or mostly interested in that type.

RC

7. Standard time

Standard time Registered User

Nov 17, 2012
    your winding arbors/drums are switched..The left side winds to the right ( counterclockwise) while the right side winds to the left ( clock wise) Take it apart and switch those two gears and it will work fine.

8. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, that was my initial thought to but check this link https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?118889-Movement-help/page2 the same question was posted in "Clock Repair" and is up to 19 responses. The winding drums were not reversed and the problem was apparently a substituted verge that was incorrect. The OP installed a different verge and it ran ok. and it goes on from there. Is really confusing when someone posts in two forums and the replies are only posted in one so its easy to miss part of the story.

RC