Woodentimers gone off line?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Peter Mann, Sep 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Mann

Peter Mann Registered User

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Photographer and Ex Kodak
    Wimborne Dorset UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently purchased a wooden clock kit "nonus" from Woodentimes in Fulda Germany. I have a couple of questions and first twice emailed the man himself "Dave Atkinson" at Woodentimes and then because of no answer tried to access his forum. The forum has now been offline for weeks now.
    I don't suppose anyone knows what has happened to them or failing that has anyone built one of these kits themselves? If so could I ask them a question please on the build. Many thanks. Peter. Dorset.UK

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been tempted to buy one of those kits,because they seem well made and comparatively good value for money , but haven´t done so up to now. Perhaps You could explain Your problem and we could help You regardless we have no hands-on experiance with these kits.
    Best regards
    Burkhard

3. Peter Mann

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Wimborne Dorset UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Burkhard for your interest.
    First let me say that my query could only be answered by someone who has also built this clock. Its a conflict with what the instructions state with what I actually saw and only a Nonus builder could help me on. I now have worked out what I have to do so thanks for offer. The kit itself is well presented, well cut and well documented at least in the early stages. However a glaring error appeared whereby page 43 refer to the wrong diagrams.
    Some of the drilled holes are meant to be undersized as per instructions but I found all of mine were undersized so I had to waste time opening them up to accept the arbors. My main concern however was as stated the complete lack of support either by email or on the help forum. Maybe Mr Atkinson is incapacitated...I wish I knew.
    One word of advice is to not to epoxy arbors into anything unless your absolutely 101% sure your right. I rely on push (tight) fit knowing I could undo them later. This gives much peace of mind.
    The instructions say that a minimum of tools are needed but frankly a bench drill and rotary Dremel were indispensable. My small lathe also was very useful. Peter

4. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I click on the nonus link in the OPs post, I see the following:

I am on holiday from 29. Sept. to 10. Oct. you can of course order as you wish but I will first be able process upon my return.

Maybe they left early.

5. Peter Mann

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Wimborne Dorset UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi MikeA
    I don't know this "OPs post. May I have a link to it? thanks. Peter

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    OP = original poster, in this case, that would be you.

7. steve323

steve323 Registered User

Sep 25, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I emailed David Atkinson a few days ago with a question about the Sextus clock kit but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully, it is related to his upcoming vacation and will be resolved when he returns.

btw: The component quality in the kit is amazing. I have no doubt that he will resolve the issues. It seems like he is a small business owner/operator. Sometimes these types of issues take longer than expected.

Steve

8. wgriffin

wgriffin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Male
    Mechatronics Engineer
    Niskayuna, NY
    Country Flag:
    Steve,
    Just curious, but did you ever hear back from Mr. Atkinson?
    Also, did you finish the Sextus clock and would you recommend it? Any major difficulties in the construction? Were you able to get it to run the 2.25 days as indicated before winding? This kit, as an homage to Harrison's H1, is definitely eye catching and very interesting.

Thanks,
    Weston

9. steve323

steve323 Registered User

Sep 25, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have not heard back from Mr Atkinson. I hope all is well with him and he comes back online. His designs are really incredible.

My Sextus is assembled and working properly. I now wish that I had stained the frame for better contrast like the images on his web site. My version looks a bit bland, but I don't want to damage the pressed in bearings by removing them to re-finish the frame. They pressed in really tight. I really like the components in the kit that allow you to remove each gear set without dismantling the frame.

It does run for 2.25 days per winding and the winding drum is large enough to support a pulley with twice the weight and a 4.5 day run time. He recommends attaching one end of the string to the wall because the frame would sag too much with twice the weight.

I need a slightly heavier weight than recommended to get it to run consistently. The compound pendulum has an unusual adjustment. Lowering the weights makes it run faster. I have a suspicion that there is a point where it starts to slow down again as it starts to act more like a regular pendulum. I am planning an experiment to plot the rate across the entire adjustment range.

Yes, I would recommend the kit.

Steve

wgriffin likes this.