Wooden Works

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by rfh11, Nov 13, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rfh11

rfh11 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hello to all,
    I recently purchased a Austin Chiddendan wood works clock. The works are in great shape but I am starting to wonder if the works are original. I looked through 1980 NAWCC bulletin and none of the works are even close to what is in the clock. I know you guys want a picture and I will post one. My question is who or what was the application for works that have the verge between the plates. My guess is these works were for a tall case clock. Waiting for your replies.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    Many New England and New York clockmakers made clocks with the ecsape wheel between the plates. That is a common feature. The giveaway as to the case it belongs in would be the length of pendulum required, and the distance the weights would have to fall to give full running. Distance of weight travel can be readily calculated by the dimensions of the time side barrel and lines. The width of the barrel and the thickness of the line will determine the possible number of turns on the barrel circumference. A rough approximation of the pandulum length can be computed by counting the teeth on the wheels and leaves on the pinions from the minute wheel through the train to the escape wheel. , and knowing that there are 3600 seconds per hour and a one second pendulum is nominally a yard long.

Most wooden movement clocks in colonial US were sold without cases, the customer having a case made locally.

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Dave,

His name is Austin Chittenden and John Burr he were in business together in Lexington, MA from 1831 to 1837. They were not true "clockmakers", but rather assemblers purchasing movements from different Connecticut clockmakers and assembling clocks. They might have even purchased both movements & cases....

It would be helpful to have photographs of movement - front view, back view, and side views to identify probable movement maker.

Andy Dervan

4. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Randy,
    If I had to guess you have a Chauncey Boardman overhead striking groaner-style movement. I used to own an Austin Chittenden clock with a groaner. If memory serves, Boardman and then Boardman & Wells were known suppliers of movements to Chittenden (in business for himself and also with partner Burr). It would help to see a photo of the clock and movement, but I haven't heard anything that makes me concerned about the originality of the movement.
    Mike

5. rfh11

rfh11 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks guy's for the information. After I spent a little more time looking at the clock. I have no reason to believe it is not the correct works. Thanks again.

6. ismax

ismax New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hello everyone i from Russia and i also have clock German's clock Brandmann, Berlin C 25, Munzstrasse 26

This clock was move in Russia after Wold War II.
    IMG_4378 copy.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4377 copy.jpg