Wooden works weights

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
Need to know the proper weight of weights for a DANIEL PRATT, JR, 30-hour, 33 inch tall, two door Empire case, with Boardman & Wells wood movement. The clock was purchased out of state and was shipped quite disassembled with 35 oz. weights. These weights appear far too small. Substitute weights in the range of 58 oz. are now allowing movement operation.

Last edited:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Certainly I don't know "proper" for this clock but less than 4#? Sounds like ya pretty much nailed it. We'll await PROPER tho.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Bob,

Something between 2 and 3 pounds will usually work. Often the strike will require less weight than the going, to give you a (not to fast) roll. The weight requirement varies quite a bit, depending on the general condition of the movement.

Willie X

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
I bought a Boardman & Wells movemnt with original weights and that for the going train weights as much as 3 lbs. 9 oz.
Now I have to replace the missing weights for a Pillar & Scroll and I need advice:
Should I buy the 3 lbs ones or the 4 1/4 lbs. ones from Timesavers?:confused:
Another thing, has anybody tried animal gut for the cords? Which size (diameter) would be the most adequate?

Thanks,

Aitor

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Me; I'd test and determine the reliable amount of weight with decent overswing before making any choices. Neither may work.

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Thanks Scottie:cool:
The problem is that it will take a lot of time before I take that movement apart and replace lots of broken teeth on the strike train...
I just wanted to buy all needed spares beforehand, but I suppose that I could wait longer...;)

I've heard that Groaners need heavier weights, is that true? Is it the same for Jerome's thins?

Aitor

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Aitor, one reason I would not use either gut or metal cable on a shelf clock is it's tendancy to "birdsnest" if you remove the weight. Cord doesn't do this. Also, I don't believe either would have been used originally.

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Hi Harold,

Yes, I understand what you mean. Currently, I've got a shortdrop movement by Riley Whiting on my desk and I can't see the moment of taking those brass cables away from their drums, because they are constantly coiling and disturbing everything (I don't want to wind tham again around the drumsto remind me of them...:rolleyes:)
I got the idea of catgut from John Tope. Clearly, braided nylon is not the original material. What was used in nineteenth century?

Aitor

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I don't know that I have ever seen what I would consider original material, but I suspect a string of some kind would have been used, and replaced when it deteriorated. You will often find a hook of some kind at the bottom of the clock, so you can use an elastic band (don't these things have lots of uses?) to keep the cord tight with the weight off. But I don't think this was original to the clock.

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Sooth,
Do you mean the square weights lited on Timesavers as 'Groaner weights'?
I supposed all shelf woodworks' weights were 'round'...:confused:

Aitor

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
Aitor:

It's my understanding that ALL wooden works clocks used square "Groaner" type weights. I see a lot on eBay and other places with typical round ogee weights, but these are not necessarily correct. Wooden works clocks will run with either style weight (around 3-4lbs). I could be wrong, though.

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Sooth,
I am a newby with American woodworks, but Mi Pillar & Scroll case shows wear on bakc panel and label only consistent with the rubbing made by cylindrical weights.:)

Aitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry